At East End House, we strive to provide new experiences for our young people and make learning engaging, hands-on, and fun! Volunteers are welcome to participate in the following:
- "Power Hour" Homework Time from 3:30pm-4:30pm: Engage youth around academic subjects and help make study time an enjoyable learning experience! Volunteers assist youth in their academic and social-emotional learning by providing the intensive help that they need to bring them up to grade level or prevent them from falling behind. They work to develop strong literacy skills to promote life-long academic success, create a positive attitude about learning, and cultivate meaningful relationships.
- Enrichment Activities from 4:30-5:30: We provide students diverse opportunities to learn about different fields of interest, develop their skills and talents, and express themselves. Some opportunities have included: coding classes, photo-journalism workshops, game-based genetics learning program, podcasting club, and many more! Volunteers assist staff in delivering these activities and exploring them with youth.
Volunteers work one-on-one or with small groups depending on student and program needs on a given day. Volunteers build positive relationships with students so that they may create a foundation for productive academic sessions. Volunteers will serve as positive role models and mentors.
- We are looking for engaged and committed volunteers that can identify a regular weekly volunteer schedule
- Volunteers will receive assignments and guidance from a consistent, designated staff member
- The Middle School Program operates at the Putnam Avenue Upper School in the Riverside area of Cambridge.
- The school is accessible by the Harvard MBTA stop (red line) T stop, and there are several bus lines nearby as well
- Gain valuable experience teaching and working with youth
- Help to address the achievement and experience gaps that low-income children face
- Make a real difference in the life of a child
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- At least 1 hour a week, consistency is key!