If you have deep connections and ties in the greater Phoenix metropolitan area, and looking for a way to engage as a public servant...we welcome you to come share you excitement and talents with us and help Phoenix children CREATE!
Create Academy is a K-12 public charter school in Phoenix, Arizona that is dedicated to arts integration, project-based learning, & social justice. The school is now enrolling K-5 students for 2018-19. The Create Academy governing board is responsible for all policy decisions made by the charter. It is the ethical and legal responsibility of the board to both govern the school and ensure the academic success of its students. The governing board makes decisions with the best interest of the school and its students in mind. The mission and the vision of the school will drive each action by the board. As part of its responsibility to the students, school, and state of Arizona, the governing board will regularly monitor student data and financial operations so that Create Academy exists to improve student achievement and offer school choice to students in Arizona.
Create Academy Mission
The mission of Create Academy is as follows: Through an arts integrated curriculum anchored in project-based learning, Create Academy will prepare all students for success in college, career, and society by teaching students to collaboratively invent, design, and implement creative solutions that address societal problems and injustices.
A governing board member is expected to:
- Mission alignment: ensure that all of the schools policies, practices, staff and board members are aligned with and focused on the mission and vision of the school.
- Student achievement: review data associated with student achievement to monitor and evaluate the school's instructional, curricular, and assessment practices to ensure it is effectively increasing student achievement.
- Financial oversight: ensure the school is financially sustainable, manages its resources effectively, and is purposefully planning for the future success of the organization.
- Policy development and compliance: be accountable for ensuring the school is in compliance with state and federal laws at all times; as well as be aware of and in compliance with the schools charter. The governing board may work with legal counsel to draft and implement policies and procedures to maintain compliance.
- Board effectiveness and succession planning: be responsible for recruiting future board members, orienting those who are newly voted onto the board, as well as evaluating the board's performance.
Create Academy is a nonprofit operating in its third year, and we are looking for civic-minded professionals who have a passion for the arts, belief in the academic success of all students, a commitment to the achievement of all students regardless of their socio-economic backgrounds, and a desire to serve with commitment...intensity...and high engagement. This is a volunteer community service role that will require about 8 to 15 hours a month of your time, depending on the time of year. The governing board meets once per month, usually at the location of the school in Central Phoenix. Board members are also asked to serve on at least one committee. PLEASE NOTE: All board members must be willing to go through a background check, as well as possess a level one finger print clearance card or be willing to obtain one.
While we welcome inquiry from anyone who believes they can contribute in a great way and have passion and alignment with the schools mission, we have a deep interest in individuals with expertise in the following areas: Charter School legal and compliance, K-12 instructional and curriculum leadership, Accountants (CPA), fund development and grants management, and visual...fine...design or applied arts. Please note: individuals with a professional background in a strategic area must have a desire and commitment to understanding and supporting other core areas of leading.
Minimum education requirement: Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Resource Development / Management
- Teaching / Instruction
- Donor Management
- Grant Writing / Research
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 8 to 15 hours a month average
- Development and fundraising experience and willingness to campaign for the school.