Position: Event Planning Volunteer - Funding Cycle 2017
Duration: Start immediately and ends mid-July (option to extend beyond mid-July)
Hours: 5-10 hours per week, mostly virtual and occasional in-person required
Rate: Unpaid volunteer position, academic credit possible
About San Diego Social Venture Partners: 501(c)(3) philanthropic membership organization providing grants and pro-bono consulting to strengthen local nonprofits and our community. We are comprised of caring and informed San Diegans, called Partners, with a passionate desire to give back through engaged, strategic giving and volunteering that makes our social sector more efficient, effective, and impactful. Founded in 2001, we have given more than $2.5 million dollars and 100,000 volunteer hours to San Diego County nonprofits.
Provide event planning support for SDSVP’s 2017 Funding Cycle, a 6-month process to select a San Diego-based nonprofit to fund, working within poverty and/or homelessness alleviation. Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Secure venues, order food, manage events budget, assist with the creation of event materials, track attendance, maintain organized records.
- Keep in regular communication with SDSVP staff via email, phone, and Google Hangout.
- Play a key role in day-of event logistics including working as part of a team to pick up materials, set up, and tear down.
- Make sure food/drinks are prepared and brought to the event.
- Manage registration at event.
- Assist in breaking down and cleaning up events.
This position is an excellent opportunity to apply the skills you learned in your event planning coursework to a nonprofit, further your experience in event planning, gain insight into the complexities and trends of the nonprofit/philanthropic sector in San Diego, and join the incredible SDSVP network of community stakeholders.
- Currently enrolled student or recent graduate studying Event Planning or a related field
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to work independently
- Excels at planning, organizing, and prioritizing
- Ability to manage timelines and projects
- Interest in philanthropy and working in the nonprofit sector
- A quick study, independent worker, sense of humor, flexible
- Ability to travel to events 1-2 times a month throughout San Diego County, mostly in Carmel Valley, La Jolla, Encinitas, and Mira Mesa.
- Proficient in using the Internet and Google Drive
Unpaid/Academic Credit/Work Study. This position is unpaid, although we are willing to work with students for academic credit or work study funding, if allowed by academic institution. Otherwise, this will be considered volunteer service for a 501(c)(3) organization in compliance with labor laws.
Send a one-page resume with "Event Planning Volunteer" in the subject line of your email and answer the following question in the body of the email: "What do you want to learn or gain through this opportunity?" Email your application to email@example.com. Please send applications ASAP, position open until filled.
To download the volunteer position visit: http://www.socialventurepartners.org/san-diego/news-events-2/job-opportunities/
- Event Planning / Management
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 21
- 5-10 hours per week (mostly remote some in-person)