Pikes Peak Therapeutic Riding Center has been providing equine therapy to the community since 1981! We are a premier accredited program through the Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship (International) ensuring safety and quality services. PPTRC is currently seeking volunteers to assist in our Equine Facilitated Psychotherapy sessions offered at the Norris-Penrose Event Center.
Equine Facilitated Psychotherapy (EFP) is a form of experiential psychotherapy that includes horses. This includes a number of mutually beneficial equine activities such as handling, grooming, and longeing. EFP both promotes personal exploration of feelings and behaviors, and allows for clinical interpretation of feelings and behaviors. EFP may be used for people with psycho-social issues and mental health needs that result in any significant variation in cognition, mood, judgment, insight, anxiety level, perception, social skills, communication, behavior, or learning.
Volunteers are needed to maintain a safe and supportive environment, primarily by being an advocate for the horse, to observe and give feedback on horse behaviors, and to share observations with the therapist about what they see clients and horses do.
- Solid horse handling skills (training available)
- Mature and able to confidently direct clients safely around horses
- Able to understand and abide by strict confidentiality policy
- Excellent communication skills
Benefits of Volunteering at PPTRC:
- A chance to change lives through the amazing attributes of the horse
- Working with the incredible animals that make up the PPTRC herd
- Reduced fee riding lessons after volunteering with PPTRC for an entire session
- Looks great on resumes and college applications
We'd love for you to join the PPTRC family!
- People Skills
- Animal Care / Handling
- Mental Health
- Relationship Building
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 1 hour/week
- Horse Handling Experience (training available)