MADACC Volunteer Adoption Counselor
There's only one thing better than seeing pets leave the shelter with their new families, and that’s helping to make it happen! If you enjoy working with people and would like to help secure loving homes for MADACC shelter dogs, consider becoming a Volunteer Adoption Counselor! Please note that this position requires direct contact with dogs; those with serious allergies or mobility issues will not be a good fit for this volunteer opportunity. Responsibilities include:
·Actively reaching out to and interacting with the general public, specifically talking with prospective adopters to find out what they are looking for in a pet.
·Interacting with/getting to know the animals and talking with prospective adopters about them to make the best possible match.
·Providing high quality customer service to people who visit MADACC.
·Working with staff and other volunteers to increase adoptions.
·Photographing adoptions and keep record of positive adoption stories.
·Helping people through the adoption process, sharing information about animal care and behavior, reviewing adoption applications, interviewing applicants in a conversational way, making decisions to finalize or deny an adoption, and communicating with the applicant in such a manner that maintains a courteous and friendly attitude even when declining a request.
·Willingness and ability to learn about cat and dog behavior, common issues, and ways to address them in order to make good adoption matches and to keep animals in homes.
·Assisting with the cleaning of animal areas and equipment as needed, including spot cleaning of animal and public areas throughout the day.
·Transporting animals, supplies and other equipment to and from off-site adoption areas.
·Monitoring the health of the animals on an ongoing basis and rapidly identifying any health problems or conditions (medical or behavioral) and immediately reporting it to the supervisor or veterinary technician.
·Treating all animals humanely, properly, and with compassion at all times, regardless of the situation or circumstance and promoting a humane and caring attitude toward all animals.
·Maintaining a friendly demeanor and providing good customer service while assisting with adoptions.
·Working courteously and cooperatively with other staff members and volunteers.
Specific Job Skills:
- Strong interpersonal skills. The ideal person for this job would be personable, outgoing, patient, professional, and able to get along well with a variety of people.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Affection for animals, concern for their welfare, and a willingness to accommodate animals in the work place.
- Ability and initiative, working with minimal supervision and direction.
- Maturity, good judgment and a professional personal appearance.
- Flexibility, ability to manage multiple tasks.
- The ability to remain pleasant and calm even in stressful situations.
- The ability to ask appropriate questions to gather information along with the ability to feel and show empathy for others.
- The ability to learn about and understanding each dog as an individual with his or her own personality, bad habits, past experiences, etc.
- Familiarity with animals, knowledge of animal behavior or experience volunteering or working with a rescue group, humane society, foster care involvement or other animal welfare agency are a plus.
- Comfort and ability to work with animals of unknown disposition and those who may exhibit medical and other problems.
- Animal Care / Handling
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours a week