Daktari is a registered non-profit company located in South Africa close to the Kruger National Park. The project site is situated in a 600 hectares private game reserve. The objective is to inspire and educate local underprivileged children to care for their environment through the medium of a wildlife orphanage.
The goal is to enable today’s local underprivileged children to eventually be able to secure good employment in nature reserves, thereby improving their future and quality of life.
- The period of placement is from 6 months.
- You will work 7.30/8.00 hours a day, 5 days a week.
- Saturday and Sunday are your days off.
PURPOSE: To provide assistance to the office manager and director to ensure to smooth operation of DAKTARI day-to-day. Additionally, this position is designed to fill gaps when other staff or long-term volunteers are away from DAKTARI.
WORKING CONDITIONS: The project is in the middle of the bush. There is no electricity in the camp but Daktari has solar power-to-power lights, computers, fridges, etc. You will live in a very family atmosphere and in a beautiful area. You must be able to adapt to group life and to be away from the city. There is no Wi-Fi at DAKTARI but you are welcome to use the office Internet for personal use outside of work hours.
As mentioned above, you will work from Monday to Friday, 8 hours a day. Everyday Saturday, you can go to town to do shopping, enjoy a lunch in a restaurant, visit the Khamai Reptile Park. Daktari also proposes extra-mural trips as visiting the famous Kruger National Park, the Blyde River Canyon etc.
Many challenges will occur, as the days are never the same. On many occasions, you will be in contact with underprivileged children who do not have the same culture as yours. You must be adaptable and understanding.
- TASK 1: Assisting with Volunteer Agents
- TASK 2: Fill in for the Volunteer Coordinator and Animal Care and Maintenance Manager
- TASK 3: Report to Animal Sponsors
- TASK 4: Data Analysis
- TASK 5: Train other staff in Microsoft office and Mac computers
SKILLS REQUIRED FOR THE POSITION
- You must speak and write English to be efficient in your work
- Organizational and time management skills
- To be confident with managing a volunteer team
- To be tolerant, diplomatic and dynamic
- Knowledge of social media
- To be confident with the use of Apple computers
- Data Entry
- Retail / Sales
- Administrative Support
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training