Oregon Outreach Inc is a nonprofit alternative high school that serves at-risk youth in the Portland Metro area. We are looking for new applicants to join our board. We are looking for members who have an interest in working for an organization dedicated to supporting youth.
Experience is preferred but not required; we need ideas, positive energy and commitment. Please review the board members position description below.
The Board will support the work of OOI and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by the Executive Director (ED), the Board-ED relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific board member responsibilities include:
Leadership, Governance and Oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the ED as s/he develops and implements Oregon Outreach Inc. strategic plan
- Approving OOI’s annual budget and audit reports; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the ED
- Assisting the ED and Board Chair in identifying and recruiting other board members
- Partnering with the ED and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing OOI to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring OOI’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities OOI serves
Oregon Outreach Inc. board members will consider OOI a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that OOI can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, OOI expects to have 100 percent of board members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
OOI’s board members will serve a two-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held monthly and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about OOI’s mission and who has a track record of board leadership. Selected board members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, education or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing board members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Professional experience with leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, education or the nonprofit sector
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of OOI’s staff and students
Service on OOI’s Board of Directors is without remuneration.
- Business Development & Sales Management
- Grant Writing / Research
- Business Planning
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
- Youth Services
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18