Cooking Matters is a nutrition education program that fights hunger by teaching families how to make healthy and budget-wise food choices. The ideal instructor is someone with a culinary background or experience working in the food industry.
Chef's job is to follow the goals and objectives outlined for each lesson in the curriculum, while using their own personal teaching style. Talking points include food safety; knife safety; budgeting; planning meals; making healthy choices and substitutions when cooking; eating together as a family; how to select, store and wash fruits and vegetables; how to navigate the grocery store and make the best choices.
Demonstrating cooking skills should include how to read a recipe; how to measure ingredients; basic cooking techniques and terminology; proper knife handling; various cooking methods; food safety; and sanitations measures.
Professional training or experience in the culinary industry.
Interest in working with low-income individuals with diverse backgrounds.
Willingness to be trained with Cooking Matters Curricula (CMC) and to work as a team with other volunteer team members.
Wear your chef coat and closed toed shoes.
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Food Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4 hour training, 4 hours per week for 6 weeks
- Travel to class location, lesson preparation & implementation, set-up, clean-up. Enthusiastic, fun,
- Cooking Matters-Chef Instructor
- Latimer House Reception Support
- Cook Matters-Class Assistant
- Supporting Our Seniors (S.O.S.)...
- Volunteer Driver-Montrose...
- Tandem Mentoring-Montrose
- Family First Child Care Support
- Life Skills Mentor-Montrose
- Commons and Fountains Resident...
- Family First Meal Preparation...
- Family First Special Events...
- Day Haven Assistant-Montrose
- Commons and Fountains Activity...
- B4 Babies and Beyond...
- Cooking Matters/Registered...