What is The Tech Challenge?
This signature program of The Tech invites teams of students in Grades 4-12 to use the engineering design process to solve a real-world problem. Participants spend months collaborating and becoming deeply engaged in the challenge while documenting their progress and designs. The program culminates in a thrilling two-day showcase in April when teams put their solutions to the test in front of judges.
Technical skills are not required to be an adviser; in fact, many teams specifically seek an adviser who will not offer as much technical assistance. The adviser serves as a motivator, safety supervisor (especially when using tooks).
If you do have technical expertise, please show restraint when sharing it. Remember that this is a challenge for the students.
The 2017 challenge: Rock the Ravine
Design and build a device to help explorers cross an ice field with multiple ravines.
Who: Students in Grades 4-12
What: A team engineering design challenge
Why: To develop creative solutions to a real-world problem
Site develpoment and practice dates TBA and volunteers can help determine the schedule.
Saturday, April 29 * Morning: Grades 4-5 * Afternoon: Grade 6
Sunday, April 30 * Morning: Grades 9-12 * Afternoon: Grades 7-8
- Child Development
- Problem Solving
- Critical Thinking
- Youth Services
- Mechanical Engineering
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Background Check for those 18+
- Sony Movie Studio Software...
- Have a passion for ART or MUSIC?...
- Edenvale Clubhouse- Power Hour...
- Specialized Activity Leader or...
- ♥Arts & Cultural Enrichment...
- Education & Career Development...
- Bilingual Power Hour...
- Tech Challenge Team Adviser
- Power Hour Homework Smasher!! -...
- Stipe Elementary School...
- Yoga Instructor for Kids
- Volunteer as a one-to-one tutor...
- BGCSV Hackathon Volunteers
- Dance Coach @ the Stipe Clubhouse