In the heart of the Amazon Jungle off the Tahuayo River (a tribute of the mighty Amazon River) is the village of Chino, Peru . Here the community had a real problem. Each year the river would rise and flood the government elementary school for an entire 3 month period. Even worse there was no high school at all for students. BTCV worked closely with community activist Dolly Beaver and her organization Angels of the Amazon to create a unique solution for a new high school that would not flood. Built in the same elevated platform style of local village housing only with concrete material this schools foundation will stand the test of time. BTCV completes one phase each year sending two "relay" teams to do the construction alongside local volunteers and paid professionals. To sign up click the flyer document below. If you want to talk to someone at BTCV about the Peru Project email us at info@BTCV.us and we will set up a time to discuss traveling with one of our teams. Are you ready to become a Changer?
- Volunteers are self funded
- Your funding includes flights, meals, lodging, river transport, construction gift
- Volunteers will do general labor alongside local skilled labor and local volunteers
- Under 16 parent or guardian attendance required.
- Sign up for the project at: http://www.bethechangevolunteers.org/join-a-project.html
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16
- 10 Days
- Travel, Self Funded, Valid Passport