Do you want to grow your skills in marketing, outreach and volunteer management? Apply your talents to help cultivate healthy youth in low-income, diverse communities in San Francisco!
With support from the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS), CommunityGrows will be hosting an AmeriCorp volunteer as part of the VISTA Program. The CG Communications and Outreach VISTA will help build our capacity and increase our impact by strengthening communication and outreach across our communities
Please note: This is a full-time AmeriCorp VISTA position. Please review the AmeriCorps guidelines and requirements below before applying.Requirements for the VISTA program
Benefits of the VISTA program include a $20,000/year living allowance, $5,550 post-service education award (to be used toward future education or towards payment of federal student loans) OR a $1500 end of year stipend, health care benefits, professional development opportunities, and 10 personal and 10 sick days. Visit http://www.vistacampus.gov/resources/vista-healthcare-options for more information about VITSA healthcare.
In order to apply for VISTA, the following minimum qualifications must be met:
- Be at least 18 years old upon entering VISTA training. There is no upper age limit.
- Be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident status.
- Not be listed in the National Sex Offender Registry database as having been convicted of sex-related crimes.
- Be willing to submit fingerprints for a criminal history background check.
- Be in a position to offer full-time service for one year beginning July 14th, 2017 and ending July 13th, 2018
- Be able to relate previous education, training, military, or work experience, and demonstrate other relevant skills or interests necessary to perform a specific VISTA assignment.
- Be willing, to the maximum extent practicable, to live among and at the economic level of the low-income people served by VISTA projects.
- Understand that VISTA is a full-time 12 month commitment and are required to serve an average of 40 hours per week.
- VISTAs are allowed to attend classes; however their studies must not interfere with VISTA responsibilities. A VISTA must discuss taking classes with his/her supervisor before enrolling. If classes do interfere, the VISTA may be asked to either withdraw from the course(s) within one week or ask to end their service.
- VISTAs are allowed part-time outside employment; however under no circumstances may a VISTA member be an employee of or a contractor for the sponsor or project to which he/she is assigned to.
- VISTAs cannot be subjects of legal proceedings (civil or criminal) that may consume time needed for VISTA assignments. VISTA service cannot be used to satisfy service requirements of parole or probation.
- Attend a CNCS-sponsored VISTA Pre-Service Orientation Training from July 11-14th. (Travel, lodging and meals for orientation are covered by VISTA program).
- Learn more about the VISTA program here .
The Communications and Outreach Coordinator (COC) will help strengthen outreach across our communities: within our neighborhoods of service, amongst our partners and volunteers; and help us better convey our impact to our supporters.
- Assess our current outreach strategies, including social media, website, and newsletter to determine shortcomings and how we might improve our presence, engagement, and storytelling
- Develop a communication plan to support garden workdays, fundraising activities, and marketing campaigns
- Plan and run special events for volunteers, partners and community members
- Create print collaterals for events and campaigns that align with our social media channels
- Develop volunteer job descriptions, recruitment processes, screening tools, and training activities
- Develop retention strategies and volunteer appreciation programs
- Write blogs and posts
- Assist with grant writing and impact reporting for funders and partners
The ideal candidate will have a passion for youth, the environment and/or nutrition and experience working with low-income and communities of color. In addition, a strong candidate will have:
- Experience with social media, blogging and/or building social networks
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office, WordPress, graphics programs (e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.), and experience with Salesforce and MailChimp
- Superb writing skills
- Ability to work effectively as a part of a team as well as independently
- Experience supervising and training volunteers
- Ability to adapt to new situations and learn new skills
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills; ability to meet deadlines, multi-task and prioritize
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Social Media / Blogging
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
- Graphic Design / Print
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Full-time, 40 hours a week
- AmeriCorps VISTA program. https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorpsvista