WhenWed Feb 01, 2017 - Sun Dec 31, 2017
WhereP.O Box 2653Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90274
Palos Verdes School Gardens
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
Unpaid volunteers can receive academic credit
- Be a support to the lesson by working directly with the Garden teacher; helping plan logistics, set up, clean up and desired goals for the lesson plan.
- Maintain a healthy and bountiful garden through seed starting, composting, maintaining soil fertility, pruning, irrigation, pest and disease management, successive planting, and planting with seasons
- Assist in the care of all School garden locations
- Work with Garden Teacher and Farm Apprentice on planting schedule and garden bed maintenance
- Assist at Restaurant locations; seasonal change outs
- Trouble shoot pest control, Diseased plant and irrigation issues
- Assist with all other garden maintenance not limited to; watering, planting, harvesting, weed management, succession planting, composting, worm farming and other general maintenance.
- Assist weekly classes at the time agreed upon with the school rain (indoors) or shine
- Guide students in general maintenance of the garden with focus on compost, harvest, and cultivation
- Mentor students in and out of class, model respect and curiosity for learning, and encourage students’ interests and talents
- Keep track of garden growth and necessity for garden improvements
Desired Skills or passion to learn more about...
- Nutrition, gardening, education and community building.
- Administrative tasks
- Experience in outdoor education or working with youth (pre K thru 5 th grade)
- Organized and responsible
- Able to work independently and also as part of a team.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Horticulture or experience working in garden or farm setting
- Genuine passion for earth stewardship
- General Education
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- High School Graduate