WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where2100 Preston StRichmond, TX 77469
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Visit with individual(s) - Read stories, play games and puzzles,assist with various arts and crafts projects and assist an individual in creating a scrapbook. Volunteers will have the opportunity to become friends, a "Special Friend" or a "Campus Buddy". Many of the individuals would benefit from having a friend of their own because they do not have active family participation.
- The Campus Resale Shop - The Country Store - Sort through donations and operate all aspects of the Country Store including helping individuals shop. Hours of operation are Tuesdays and Fridays from 10:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. (Closed for lunch 12:00 - 1:00 p.m.)
- Assist at the Therapeutic Riding Center - SIRE is a non-profit organization who's mission is to improve the quality of life for people with special needs through therapeutic horsemanship activities and therapies, and educational outreach. SIRE has moved their Fort Bend location to the Richmond State Supported Living. People interested in volunteering at the Therapeutic Riding Center, and with individuals residing at RSSLC, will complete the application and training with SIRE in addition to the volunteer process at RSSLC.
- Vegas Texas Style Volunteers - Volunteers are needed for the for the Vegas Texas Style fundraising event.
- Personal Advocate for an Individual - Become a friend to an individual that encourages the person to make clear and rational decisions. Contact us for information on this opportunity.
- Guardian Ship Committee - Volunteers will be a resource for people interested in becoming a guardian for an individual residing at RSSLC. Contact us for information on this opportunity.
- Human Rights Committee - Ensure the safety, welfare, and protection of human, constitutional, and special/additional rights of individuals receiving services at RSSLC. Contact us for information on this opportunity.
- Wrap Parties - Each man and woman residing at RSSLC will receive birthday and Christmas gifts each year. This equates to more than 1,000 gifts. We need service groups of no more than 10 people per two hour shift to help wrap these gifts. It's a great way to get into the holiday spirit. Parties begin the first week in November and last to the middle of December.
- Assist with Religious Services - Assist with ongoing faith services and important celebrations for individuals to include Catholic, Jewish and other religions. Or volunteer to take individuals to area churches for community integration experiences.
- Stage concerts or theatrical performances - Sing and/or play musical instruments with a group or individually for the people living at RSSLC.
- Play Santa or His Elves - Fort Bend and the surrounding area community children visit Santa and his elves two weekends in December at Richmond State Supported Living Center. Help is needed to play Santa and/or his elves. Costumes are provided for volunteers.
- Party with the Individuals - Host a party for one or more homes on campus. Or host a campus event for all individuals.
- Displays for Project Noel - Construct, paint or repair exhibits displayed during the Christmas holidays at the Richmond State Supported Living Center. New displays can be constructed of wood, metal, Paper Mache`, etc. Many of the older displays are in need of re-construction.
- Adopt a Flower Bed - Place your name and/or your organization's name in a flower-bed that you maintain or help individuals maintain.
- Data Entry
- Food & Beverage Services
- Music Therapy
- Event Planning / Management
- Administrative Support
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training