Purpose: To advise, govern, oversee policy and direction, and assist with the leadership and general promotion of Support The Enlisted Project (STEP) so as to support the organization’s Mission and needs.
Mission: STEP exists to assist junior active duty enlisted members and recently discharged enlisted Veterans, and their families, in Southern California facing financial crisis achieve long term financial self-sufficiency through counseling, education and grants to alleviate critical near term obligations.
- Organizational leadership and advisement
- Organization of the Board of Directors, officers, and committees
- Formulation and oversight of policies and procedures
- Financial management, including adoption and oversight of the annual budget
- Oversight of program planning and evaluation
- Review of organizational and programmatic reports
- Promotion of the organization
- Fundraising and outreach
Members of the board share these responsibilities while acting in the interest of STEP. Each member is expected to make recommendations based on his or her experience and vantage point in the community.
Length of term: Two years, which may be renewed pending approval of the board.
Meetings and time commitment:
- The board of directors meets 8-10 times per year, normally on the third Tuesday of the month, 4:30 p.m., in the La Jolla UTC area. Conference call attending is permitted. Meetings typically last 120 minutes.
- Committees of the board meet four to six times per year, pending their respective work agenda.
- Board members are asked to attend no more than two special events or meetings per year, as they are determined.
Expectations of board members:
- Attend and participate in meetings on a regular basis, and special events as able.
- Participate on a standing committee of the board, and serve on ad-hoc committees as necessary.
- Be alert to community concerns that can be addressed by STEP mission, objectives, and programs.
- Help communicate and promote STEP mission and programs to the community.
- Become familiar with STEP finances, budget, and financial/resource needs.
- Understand the policies and procedures of STEP.
- Financially support STEP in a manner commensurate with one’s ability.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment