Local History Volunteer
8 people are interested
Purpose: Be a part of local history here at the Beale Library! Here you will assist visitors in the Local History Room at the Beale Memorial Library with its various materials. Communicate, have fun, and participate with patrons in helping answer questions regarding our Local History Room!
* Enforce the room’s special collection policies, such as asking all visitors to sign in and making sure all materials stay inside the room.
* Assist visitors with the newspaper card catalog, and with microfilm and photocopier.
* Become familiar with the collection, especially with its more popular items, including City Directories, yearbooks, maps, and Kern County history books.
* Be able to assist with the online catalog, the Newspaper Archive database, the online Historical Photograph collections, and the Kern County Library home page in general.
* Assist visitors with the Vertical File list, and obtain Vertical File Folders from the Local History workroom as needed.
* Obtain volumes of the Boyd notebooks and telephone directories as needed.
* Be at least a high school graduate. College not required!
* Have an interest in history and in helping others.
* Basic computer and Internet skills required.
* Completion of Beale’s volunteer orientation and an orientation to the Local History room.
* Flexibility-room usage varies from zero to 10 people in an hour; for the most part it’s very quiet in here!
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
We'll work with your schedule.
701 Truxtun AvenueBakersfield, CA 93301
- Customer Service
- Must be at least 18