This exhibit "digs up" facts on the unique role of dogs in human societies and what makes the human/dog relationship so fascinating. This is the largest and most comprehensive traveling exhibition ever created on the history and biology of dogs.
PURPOSE: To enhance museum guests’ understanding and appreciation of the human/dog relationship throughout history. To interact directly with the public by sharing knowledge of the dogs on exhibit as well as other related specimens and by providing excellent customer service to all guests.
- Greet all guests in a friendly, respectful and enthusiastic manner.
- Anticipate and answer guest questions as they arise.
- Represent the museum in a professional and knowledgeable manner at all times.
- Provide accurate and current information of the dinosaurs on exhibit, other related specimens.
- Monitor the area to avoid various problems by preventing running, climbing on rails, throwing objects, touching dinosaurs, or other potentially dangerous actions.
- Adhere to museum policies and procedures.
- Work as a team when other volunteers and staff in the exhibit area.
- Minimum Age: 15 years old to volunteer alone and ages 11-14 with an adult (family volunteer)
- Dependability and flexibility
- An enthusiastic, outgoing personality
- All Virginia Living Museum volunteers must work at least 1 shift per month.
- It is necessary that you report on time when scheduled. If you are not able to attend, it is required that you inform Volunteer Services in advance so that a substitute can be found.
- Strong interest in dogs, the human/dog relationship, or the natural sciences.
- Desire to educate others, specifically about dogs and other specimens on exhibit.
- Have strong or developing knowledge of facts about the dogs and other specimen on exhibit.
- Ability to represent the museum in a positive way through attitude, appearance, and actions.
- Ability to work in a crowded area
HOW TO APPLY:
Go to www.thevlm.org/join/volunteer/applications
* Email, mail, fax or drop off your application to the VLM (contact info on form).
* Be sure to put "Big Bugs" in your preferences and any experience you have in entomology and any area in the natural sciences.
* Jot down 2 references that we can contact on your behalf (teachers, supervisors, coaches, co-workers, committee members, etc).
* We’ll send you a link for the background check (cost is $12, you can then use this background check ANYWHERE afterwards).
* You’ll come in at the VLM for an interview when your schedule allows.
* The $20 training fee will be collected at on-boarding (post-interview) and it includes your uniform t-shirt, online portal access and all training materials.
- Habitat Restoration
- Public Speaking
- Environmental Education
- General Education
- Environmental Science
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 15
- We would like a minimum commitment of 4 months