Volunteer Office Secretary (Part-time - 2 days weekly), Permanent, EXPERIENCED) Needed IMMEDIATELY
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
WhereSt. John's United Methodist Church of Baltimore2640 Saint Paul St.Baltimore, MD 21218
* This is a volunteer, part-time (2 days per week, 8 days per month) permanent position.
* Currently, there is no funding for the position, but the church is applying for grants to pay a stipend beginning in 2018.
* No phone calls, please.
* Interested and qualified applicants, please submit resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Only candidates of interest will be contacted.
Must be comfortable working for a Methodist Church with a reconciling congregation. The church has a strong focus on LGBT-Q rights, peace and justice issues, hunger, education, and community involvement.
Currently recruiting for an Office Secretary who will demonstrate flexibility and be available as negotiated by you and the Pastor. If more hours are required, hours will be agreed upon and a stipend may be available. Time will be divided between performing some duties remotely (from home) and in the office.
The person in this position will be responsible for routine office duties. Primary direction and communication comes from the Pastor. Secondary communication comes from the Church Council, committee leaders, and the congregation.
To empower others within the community and support the achievements and strategic goals of the church, you will identify and cultivate candidates as needed for volunteer roles and leadership by recruiting and training additional volunteer staff.
Employees work in a normal office environment. There is little discomfort to due to the extremes of heat, dust, noise, temperature, etc.
Administrative (weekly): 50%
* Prepare and maintain activity calendars and schedules for the Pastor.
* Work with the Treasurer to maintain all Sunday offering envelopes: record and sort all monies received in offering for weekly deposit. Tabulate the weekly budget from Sunday's deposits and distribute copies to appropriate person(s).
* Plan and coordinate all meeting activities. Work closely with Committees, Ministries, and Church Council chairpersons to coordinate meetings and send out notices of all monthly meetings. Attend all Church Council meetings and other committee meetings as scheduled.
* Open and sort all incoming mail to appropriate person(s). Send outgoing mail.
* Prepare and photocopy weekly church bulletin, other special notices, flyers, and inserts.
Other Administrative: 40%
* Type, reproduce, and distribute bi-monthly Church Council minutes.
* Assistance with event coordination and logistics.
* Develop and coordinate a new program for receiving new visitors and members. Record information in a database.
* Handle all office telephone calls with frequent interruptions courteously and efficiently.
* Cooperate with the Pastor and other congregants in preparing materials for Special Programs (Bible Study, guest speakers, retreats, financial campaigns, etc.).
* Coordinate obtaining signatures and sending cards and notices of birthdays, condolences, get-well, and other event notifications to congregation members.
* Prepare periodic financial requests and fundraising letters as requested by financial secretary. Assist with keeping accurate records of the office budget.
* Assist with periodic preparation of grant materials.
Other Duties 10%:
* Periodically run outside errands.
* Annual Charge Conference: Prepares and mails letters out to members for the "Responsibility for Ministry to Members" Report; coordinates and prepares report booklet and annual statistical report; send letters out to Committee Chairs asking for their specific report information; types this information on the master Charge Conference forms.
* Two or more years of previous office experience.
* A.A. or B.A. degree.
* Proficiency in Microsoft Office at the intermediate level or above.
* Demonstrate strong customer service, verbal, and written communication skills.
* The ability to work autonomously, remotely (from home), and with a team.
* Time management; able to prioritize duties.
Please submit resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
St. John's United Methodist Church is a Smoke-Free workplace and place of worship.
St. John’s United Methodist Church (a.k.a St. John’s, St. John’s Baltimore, St. John’s UMC) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, and or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
- Office Management
- Program Management
- Administrative Support
- Customer Service
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Tenure at the discretion of Pastor or employee.
- Routine office duties, schedules, calendars, periodic meetings, volunteer hiring and training.