Communications and Public Relations Internship with FreeTheTextbooks.org. Make a Difference!
- Use your Communications and PR skills, experience, knowledge, creativity and talent.
- Help lower the cost of college textbooks and save billions of dollars for millions of college students.
- Take a leadership role on our dynamic and creative international team.
- Work from our Manhattan office or remotely.
- Enhance your resume and get a glowing letter of recommendation.
The Problem We Address
The skyrocketing cost of college textbooks undermines the education and lives of millions of students, who spend an average of $1,300 a year on books and supplies. 70% of them cannot afford books for all their classes. 30% of them are unable to take classes they want, simply because the books are too expensive. Tacked onto student loans, the textbook costs can haunt them for years.
We Are Going to Change the Situation
Colleges and universities could greatly decrease the cost of textbooks by adopting ten measures, described in the petition below. We are leading a movement to encourage students, faculty, recent graduates, high school students, and parents to advocate for these changes.
Colleges and universities could save students billions of dollars a year on textbooks by adopting these policies. We call on them to:
- Consider the cost when selecting textbooks.
- Use free Open Source textbooks whenever possible.
- Do not require university-specific editions or (unless essential) the latest edition, which undermine the used book market.
- Refrain from requiring students to purchase expensive access codes for homework assignments and quizzes.
- Tell students what textbooks are required and what they cost before registration begins so they have time to shop for savings.
- Have college bookstores transparently serve students, rather than profit off of them.
- Inform students of scholarships to fund textbooks.
- Have college libraries put enough textbooks on reserve for in-house use.
- Support book exchanges for students to trade used books.
- Establish a standing student-faculty committee dedicated to this issue.
A Nonprofit Movement
Free The Textbooks is a nonprofit movement. We are glad to help you receive college credit for this internship.
Use Your Skills in Communications and Public Relations
Communications is, of course, a key element in growing the movement. We need to reach national media, student media, student organizations, social media channels, and others to raise word of the problem and of our solution.
A Great Place to Work
This is a great place to work. We have had interns and volunteers from all over the United States and more than forty countries. The atmosphere is energetic, creative, and fun. We value brainstorming, initiative, sharing, and collaborating. Think of it is a laboratory, studio, seminar, or incubator. We are also casual. We are interested in your brains, creativity and heart, rather than your attire. Want to work in jeans, t-shirt and flip-flops? That’s fine with us.
Who, Where, When
- We are glad to hear from high school, undergraduate, and graduate students, as well as professionals who want to make a meaningful impact with their skills. We also welcome OPT students.
- Work at our office or remotely. We are conveniently located at 7th Avenue and 33 Street, across from Penn Station in Manhattan. (Catch a game or concert after work).
- Full-time or part-time, school-year or summer, day or evening, weekday or weekend, in-office or remote. We are glad to have your help whenever and wherever you are available.
- We provide a great opportunity to gain experience as you make a meaningful change in the world, but this is an unpaid position.
Learn More, Apply Now, and Share
Are you ready for a great experience and eager to make a difference?
Send a resume and short cover letter to: join [AT] FreeTheTextbooks [DOT] org.
Please let us know:
- whether you would like to work from our office or remotely
- when you are available (dates, days, and hours).
Please be sure to see www.FreeTheTextbooks.org, sign the petition, share it with friends, and help grow the movement.
- Technical Writing
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Social Media / Blogging
- Content Management Systems
- Brand Development & Messaging
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment