* Marketing Committee *
PR Position Description
Are you passionate about food, community and social impact? If you are an experienced PR professional who wants to help create the brand and build awareness for one of Northern California’s most vibrant and diverse food-oriented social enterprises, we would like to talk with you!
About the San Francisco Wholesale Produce Market
The San Francisco Wholesale Produce Market (the "Market") offers the most diverse community of merchants with the widest selection of great-tasting fruits and vegetables to help Northern California food businesses meet their customers’ unique produce needs.
As San Francisco’s original - and only - wholesale produce market, we are creating a thriving and sustainable food center that delivers unique value to our customers while giving back to the community and neighborhood.
Our mission is to link the produce and food communities of SF and beyond, by successfully developing and operating the Market. We operate as a non-profit social enterprise, collaborating with the City of San Francisco, our Merchants and the Bayview Hunters Point neighborhood to curate the area’s widest selection of local, organic, ethnic and conventional produce and to responsibly develop the Market.
It is an exciting time to market the Market. We are investing in our future by continuing to upgrade our 485,000 square feet of warehouse and logistics space and increasing the impact of our programs, which include creating jobs, supporting local farmers and expanding our food recovery program.
Work of THE MARKETING Committee
The Market’s Marketing Committee was formed earlier this year and is composed of seven volunteers and two staff members. Members are Merchants at the Market, current members of the Board of Directors and qualified volunteers with extensive marketing experience. We currently seek an additional volunteer with food-related PR expertise to join the Marketing Committee.
The Marketing Committee’s goals include building brand and demand for the Market by:
1) Becoming experts on current and past marketing/outreach activities of Merchants, the Market and other wholesale markets, and understanding existing opportunities and needs in marketing, branding, and communications
2) Making recommendations to the Board of Directors about proposed goals, strategy and approaches for marketing, branding, and communications for the Market
3) Recommending action plans for implementation to the Board
4) In collaboration with the Board, supporting implementation of the action plans through active Committee engagement and additional resources.
Committee Roles and Responsibilities
- Conduct outreach to potential Committee members
- Finalize agendas and run Committee meetings
- Share responsibilities as listed below for committee members
(including Merchant representatives)
- Attend regularly scheduled Committee meetings
- Provide insight at meetings and in follow-on work
- Complete tasks committed to in Committee meetings
Other Merchants on the Market
- Provide input to Committee as requested
- Provide feedback on Committee outputs
- Potentially serve on Committee or sub-committees
Staff support for Committee
- Schedule meetings and communicate about logistical details
- Prepare and distribute materials prior to meetings
- Support Committee chair(s) as needed and help with agendas for Committee meetings
- Support implementation of marketing/outreach and branding plans
We seek 1 additional committee member that feels confident s/he will be able to volunteer his or her time to do media outreach to secure coverage for the Market. S/he should have the following qualifications:
- Expertise in Public Relations - specifically in food-related PR
- Knowledge of and relationships with local media outlets, both traditional and digital - particularly those that highlight food stories
- Experience in successfully delivering key messages through various media outlets (TV, newspapers, blogs, social media, etc.)
We ask that committee members make a one year commitment. The Committee currently meets monthly with marketing activities occurring between meetings.
Service on Market’s committees is a volunteer position without remuneration.
If interested, please contact Michael Janis, General Manager, at 415-550-4495 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Public Relations
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- We ask that committee members make a one year comm