Did you know if a child cannot read at grade level by grade three, he or she is FOUR times more likely to drop out of school? YMCA Reads! is an after-school reading assistance and mentoring program at Sawgrass Lake Elementary School in St. Petersburg helping at-risk and low-income children in kindergarten through third grade develop the reading skills they need to succeed in school. Volunteer mentors will help children build core reading skills during two one-hour sessions weekly after school! 20 volunteers are needed! Volunteers must be at least 16, complete our online volunteer application, on-boarding, and pass background checks/fingerprinting. Full training provided. Go to our web site at www.stpeteymca.org, click on GIVE, then VOLUNTEER to complete the application and on-boarding.
- Child Development
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours per week
- Change a child's future!
- YMCA Leaders Club Chapter Advisor
- Read. Mentor. Make a difference
- From compassion to action- tutor...
- Support Students Now! Today's...
- YMCA Youth in Government Chapter...
- Have a Blast Coaching Kids at...
- Transform a Child's Future...
- Pre-school Garden Attendant
- Coach or Assist a Youth Sports...
- Educate the Future with YMCA...
- One Child + You = Reading Skills...