Our Civil Rights Department handles hundreds of cases each year that range from prejudiced gestures to full blown discrimination against Muslim clients as well as non-Muslims who have been perceived to be Muslim. Casework includes conducting intake interviews, ongoing communication with clients and offending parties, writing advocacy letters, attorney referrals, researching relevant legislation, and database entry. The department also presents "Know-Your-Rights" trainings for local Muslims.
While working with CAIR-WA, the Civil Rights Intern will gain interviewing, investigative, and writing skills from work with diverse clientele to document civil rights abuses. S/he will oversee civil rights cases, as well as assist in documenting and reporting data and educating the community about CAIR's work. In addition, s/he will have access to a number of community events and trainings (depending on scheduling) pertaining to broader civil rights work in Washington State. S/he may be asked to perform other tasks as needed.
- Comfortable with conducting interviews and asking probing questions over the phone
- Good judgment and discretion
- Flexibility with diverse tasks and varying schedules
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent writing skills
- A very positive attitude
- Punctuality and reliability
- Detail-orientation and excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work across cultural boundaries with respect, patience and understanding
HOW TO APPLY: Please email email@example.com and, in the subject line, please clearly indicate the title(s) of the position(s) in which you are interested, in order of preference. Please include in your e-mail an explanation of why you are interested in this position, any relevant experience or skills, and your complete contact information (full name, email, and phone number).
You may also include a résumé and two references who have supervised you in a past volunteer position, internship or employment. Applicants must pass a background check. All volunteer positions at CAIR-WA are unpaid.
Please note:ALL POSITIONS ARE OPEN IMMEDIATELY we respond to applications year-round IMMEDIATELY as they are received, so apply now!
- Case Work / Management
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 6 months, 20 hours per week
- Journalism and Photography...
- Executive Assistant Intern
- General Office Assistance...
- Graphic Design Intern at Civil...
- Media Interview Training Volunteer
- DONOR RELATIONS VOLUNTEER AT...
- Film Production Volunteer
- Public Relations Intern at Civil...
- Civil Rights Case Intake Intern
- Event Planning Intern
- Web Design Intern at Civil...
- Web Development Intern at Civiil...