Evening Shelter Volunteer
4 people are interested
St. Stephen’s Human Services is a leading 501c3 nonprofit whose mission is to end homelessness. Through programming that includes street outreach, shelter, and housing programs we help thousands of people secure housing and other support each year. We use the knowledge from our work to influence systemic changes to improve the quality of life for all people we serve in our community.
The St. Stephen’s Emergency Shelter is a sober shelter in South Minneapolis that serves 45 adult men every night. Guests usually stay in the shelter for 1-3 months and can often extend their stay until permanent housing is found by working towards self-identified housing with shelter advocates. The St. Stephen’s Emergency Shelter Team supports guests in their progress towards achieving self-identified goals and housing stability.
The Evening Shelter Volunteer will work as part of our team to assist with the evening operations of the shelter and support shelter guests. The Evening Shelter provides on-the-ground support to individuals experiencing homelessness and is a great way to build a stronger framework for understanding homelessness in our community.
The Evening Shelter Volunteer will:
- help create a hospitable and welcoming environment for all shelter guests;
- build and maintain trust with clients;
- stock and organize the supply closet and linen closet;
- bring laundry from bedroom to laundry room;
- distribute mail to guests as requested and organize mail closet;
- unlock showers for guests to use, and remind guests of 10 minutes shower limit when needed;
- remove linen bags from "Back Tomorrow" beds, and retrieve linens and help make beds for one-night guests;
- document the names and bed numbers of guests who request wake-up calls and next-day lunches;
- track how many guests need next-day lunches and assemble as needed;
- answer phone calls and assist with incoming inquiries for assistance and referrals throughout the evening, and transfer all calls from Adult Shelter Connect to staff;
- welcome Meal Group volunteers to the shelter and help them set up for the meal;
- assist meals groups and staff with serving and cleaning up evening meals as needed;
- spend time in the living room with guests, either playing games, talking, or simply being present;
- listen to concerns and grievances from shelter guests and relay messages to advocates;
- report any escalating situations to shelter advocates so that they can de-escalate as needed;
- help keep book shelves and game shelf organized and neat;
- update incoming overnight volunteers with any pertinent information before leaving the shelter for the evening;
- other duties as needed.
Necessary skills include:
- ability to build professional, trusting and respectful relationships with individuals of diverse backgrounds;
- strong professional boundaries
- eagerness to learn about navigating systems and available resources for people who are experiencing homelessness;
- ability to interact positively and professionally with guests experiencing mental health and chemical health symptoms;
- willingness to help as needed;
- ability to work collaboratively and creatively with staff and guests;
- must be at least 18 years of age; and
- ability to pass a background check.
- 5-9PM, 7 days a week.
- Commitment to at least two shifts per month for a minimum of 3 months.
We'll work with your schedule.
2211 Clinton Ave SMinneapolis, MN 55404
- Mental Health
- Case Work / Management
- Counseling / Mental Health
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Two shifts per month for a minimum of 6 months
- Orientation required