Purpose: To conduct outreach to Medicare beneficiaries who have limited income and resources, particularly rural and non-English-speaking individuals. The volunteer will screen and assist individuals in enrolling in benefits for which they are eligible with a focus on:
- Medicare Part D Extra Help (Low-income subsidy-LIS)
- Medicare Savings Programs (MSP)
- AHCCCS (Medicaid)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Low-income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Utilize benefitscheckup.org to screen and enroll individuals in benefits for which they are eligible
- Conduct follow-up contact with clients and agencies as necessary to ensure enrollment process is complete
- Complete BEC contact forms and other reports as required by the program.
- Facilitate the distribution of information at community events and health fairs.
- Comply with all pertinent rules and regulations set forth by National Council on Aging and PCOA.
- Maintain the confidentiality of clients’ information, respecting their right to privacy and dignity.
- Volunteers may not endorse or appear to promote the purchase of any specific policy, company, or agent.
- Volunteers with for-profit businesses may not use contacts from their volunteer work to increase their customer base.
- Successful Level 1 fingerprint clearance and background check
- Bi-lingual in English/Spanish is a plus
- Effective written and oral communication skills for client interactions
- Ability to effectively complete documentation using a computer
Training and Support: Complete a four hour training session. Support includes regular meetings and phone or emails to program specialist.
Benefits: Volunteers play a valuable role in our ability to meet the needs of the community. With your help, we can continue making a difference in the lives of seniors and people with disabilities.
Time Commitment: Commit four hours a week to a regularly scheduled time and place to meet with older adults and people of all ages with disabilities either in person or by telephone. Appointments might take 45 minutes to an hour.
Length of Appointment: The volunteer may be reappointed to this position in six month increments at the discretion of the supervisor. This position reports to the Benefits Enrollment Specialist.
Location: Volunteers have a choice a locations throughout Pima county.
To learn more, or sign up, contact Shane Lynch - firstname.lastname@example.org or call 520-305-3418.
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment