The Hunter Park GardenHouse is project of Allen Neighborhood Center, a 501(c)(3) organization in Lansing, Michigan. The GardenHouse serves as a demonstration site and hub for year-round garden education. Neighbors volunteer to grow food, flowers, and community; and youth develop job and life skills in service to the neighborhood.
For eight years, the Hunter Park GardenHouse has empowered neighbors to grow, prepare, and eat healthy food to better their health and become more connected with the community. We are open 6 days a week, and offer a wide assortment of programs.
Our Youth Programs provide free programs-teaching job and life skills, nutrition and garden education. Take Root Garden Club (ages 5-10) is held Tuesday & Thursday, 10am-12pm, and Youth Service Corps (ages 11-17) is held Monday, Wednesday, Friday 10am-12pm, along with a farmers market shift on Wednesday from 2:30-7pm.
Allen Neighborhood Center’s Hunter Park GardenHouse Youth Programs are offering 2 unpaid internships this summer. We are able to partner with academic institutions to provide this internship for college credit.
This person will serve as Hunter Park GardenHouse Youth Programs Intern who will:
- work with the Youth Programs Coordinator to help prepare & facilitate lessons and activities.
- document program efficacy through attendance records and evaluations.
- collaborate with other organizations on special events (Edible Park Collection Days, field trips, etc).
- document Youth Programs through social media (update Facebook with photos & updates).
- Commitment to serve 10-15 hours per week (May - August 2017 or longer if possible).
- Kid-loving, organized, reliable, enthusiastic, and motivated.
- Desire and ability to engage with a diverse group of people, particularly those living in low-income neighborhoods.
- Ability to function independently and in a team environment.
- Nutrition and gardening experience, a plus.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Familiarity with social media (Facebook) and basic photography.
How to Apply
Submit a cover letter and resume to Volunteer Coordinator: email@example.com, 517-999-3919.
Also complete our internship form found at:
More information about the Hunter Park GardenHouse Youth Programs:
- Teaching / Instruction
- General Education
- Youth Services
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training