This is an advanced position, ideal for experienced wood or metal hobbyists or professionals. Do enjoy making things out of wood, metal, and plastic? Would you like to apply your skills to help us make the next exhibit at the Maryland Science Center? Please note that this position requires that you are skilled in safe and effective woodworking tool use- only candidates who can demonstrate proficiency will be accepted.Duties
- Work from construction drawings to create finished exhibit components
- Fabricate components that assist with exhibit shop operation (for example: jigs and fixtures, organizational structures) and other science center operations.
- Extensive experience safely using all common woodworking tools (including panel saw, table saw, jointer, miter saw, band saw, drill press, power sanders) to create finished projects
- Experience finishing with paint and clearcoats
- Ability to work from dimensioned construction drawings
- Helpful: Solidworks or Sketchup. CNC routing or milling
- Shop orientation provided by Exhibit Fabrication. There will be no shop tool safety training- volunteers must be well versed in shop tool safety and care.
- Must be able to volunteer at least 3 hours a week, for a minimum of three months
- Ideally can come in during the workday (Monday-Friday (9am-5pm), or between 5pm and 9pm for our Tuesday volunteer night
In addition to the Volunteer Application Form (see below), please send us a portfolio of your work.
- Include download link- do not attach to e-mail or it may be rejected by our SPAM filter, and we will never know you applied.
- Nothing fancy necessary: a portfolio can be as simple as a stack of photos and sketches.
Please visit marylandsciencecenter.org for further information and application forms. All volunteers must submit an application; volunteer appointments are by interview only. All applicants must complete a background check and orientation session, prior to volunteering.
- Exhibition Arts
- Interior / Exterior Design
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Exhibits Shop Assistants: Help...
- IMAX Theater Usher: Volunteer...
- Kids Room Educator: Teach, learn...
- Planetarium eBay Specialist
- SciLab Assistant: Help young...
- Green Roof Assistants
- Lobby Ambassador
- Exhibit Facilitators: Assist MSC...
- Ticket Agent
- Science Educators! Inspire the...
- Science Store Cashier
- Group Mailings: Help MSC stay...
- Observatory Assistant:Share your...
- Exhibits Fabricators
- Kids Room Upkeep Assistants