EXHIBIT FABRICATOR (experience required)
Do you enjoy making things out of wood, metal, and plastic? Would you like to apply your skills to help us make the next exhibit at the Maryland Science Center? Please note this position requires you to be skilled in safe and effective woodworking tool use. Only candidates who can demonstrate proficiency will be accepted. Required skills listed below.Duties:
- Work from construction drawings to create finished exhibit components
- Fabricate components that assist with exhibit shop operation (for example: jigs and fixtures, organizational structures) and other Maryland Science Center operations.
Must be able to demonstrate correct and safe use of:
- Table saw, specifically: ripping and cross-cutting plywood with fence and with miter gauge
- Miter saw, ideally a sliding compound miter saw. Specifically: cross-cutting at right angles and at non-right angles
- Hand Router or Router table, specifically: changing bits, cutting dadoes and grooves, rounding over edges
- Band saw: cutting curves
- Drill press: adjusting table height, changing bits, basic drilling procedure
- Possess a strict attention to detail and the ability to stick with a task until it is completed to high quality standards
- Possess the ability to work from dimensioned construction drawings
- Shop orientation provided by Exhibit Fabrication team. Orientation will include a basic safety overview and a short assignment where you will demonstrate your skills by building a box to the specs (construction drawing) provided.
- Must be able to volunteer at the very least one 4-hour shift per week, for a minimum of three months
- Available during the work week (Monday-Friday, 9 AM-5 PM)
In addition to completing and returning the Volunteer Application, please send a portfolio of your work.
- Include download link. Do not attach to email, as it may be rejected by our SPAM filter, and we will never know you applied.
- Nothing fancy necessary: a portfolio can be as simple as a collection of photos and sketches.
Please visit marylandsciencecenter.org for further information and application forms. All volunteers must submit an application, and volunteer appointments are by interview only. All applicants (over the age of 18) must complete a background check and orientation session, prior to volunteering.
- Exhibition Arts
- Interior / Exterior Design
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Exhibit Shop Assistant: Help...
- Bus Greeter: Busloads of fun!
- Lobby Ambassador/IMAX Theater...
- Kids Room Educational Materials...
- Kids Room Educator: Teach,...
- Planetarium eBay Specialist
- SciLab Assistant: Help young...
- Exhibit Facilitator: Assist...
- Ticket Agent
- Camp-In Volunteer
- Science Educator: Inspire the...
- Science Store Cashier
- Group Mailing Assistant: Help...
- Observatory Assistant: Share...
- Exhibit Fabricator
- Kids Room Upkeep Assistant