This is an advanced position, ideal for experienced wood or metal hobbyists or professionals.
Do you enjoy making things out of wood, metal, and plastic? Would you like to volunteer to apply your skills to help us make the next exhibit at the Maryland Science Center? Please note this position requires you to be skilled in safe and effective use of woodworking tools - only candidates who can demonstrate proficiency will be accepted.Duties:
- Work from construction drawings to create finished exhibit components
- Fabricate components that assist with exhibit shop operation (for example: jigs and fixtures, organizational structures) and other Maryland Science Center operations.
- Extensive experience safely using all common woodworking tools (including panel saw, table saw, jointer, miter saw, band saw, drill press, power sanders) to create finished projects
- Experience finishing with paint and clearcoats
- Ability to work from dimensioned construction drawings
- Helpful: Solidworks or Sketchup. CNC routing or milling
- Shop orientation provided by Exhibit Fabrication Team. There will be no shop tool safety training. Volunteers must be well versed in shop tool safety and care.
- Must be able to volunteer at least 3 hours a week, for a minimum of three months
- Ideally can come in during the workday (Monday-Friday (9am-5pm), or between 5pm and 9pm for our Tuesday volunteer night
In addition to completing and returning the Volunteer Application, please send a portfolio of your work.
- Include download link. Do not attach to e-mail as it may be rejected by our SPAM filter, and we will never know you applied.
- Nothing fancy necessary: a portfolio can be as simple as a stack of photos and sketches.
Please visit marylandsciencecenter.org for further information and application forms. All volunteers must submit an application, and volunteer appointments are by interview only. All applicants (over the age of 18) must complete a background check and orientation session, prior to volunteering.
- Exhibition Arts
- Interior / Exterior Design
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Exhibits Shop Assistant: Help...
- Bus Greeter: Busloads of fun!
- Lobby Ambassador/IMAX Theater...
- Kids Room Educational Materials...
- Kids Room Educator: Teach,...
- Planetarium eBay Specialist
- SciLab Assistant: Help young...
- Green Roof Assistant
- Kids Room Costume and Fabric...
- Exhibit Facilitator: Assist...
- Ticket Agent
- Science Educator: Inspire the...
- Science Store Cashier
- Group Mailing Assistant: Help...
- Observatory Assistant: Share...
- Exhibits Fabricator
- Kids Room Upkeep Assistant