The Senior Discovery Group of Allen Neighborhood Center has been meeting for the last sixteen years for "pretty good coffee and great conversation." The group meets every Wednesday from 10:00 am - 12:00 pm at the Allen Market Place on Lansing’s Eastside. This is a lively group of seniors who look forward to coffee, treats, and a presentation by a different speaker each week. Topics addressed by guest speakers range from music, culture, weather, life stories, neighborhood building, health, gardening, and more!
- Recruit and schedule guest presenters for the group
- Aid with the setup and take down of the meeting space for the day, including prepping coffee and snacks
- Assist speakers with use of SMART TV, for their PowerPoint and other presentations
- Prepare and provide weekly handouts of community events that may be of interest to the group
- Generally support these elders during their two hour weekly gathering
- Commitment to serve a minimum of 6 hours per week (May 2017 - August 2017). Semester internships are also available.
- Desire and ability to engage with a diverse group of people, particularly those living in low-income distressed neighborhoods.
- Ability to function independently and in a team environment.
We are able to partner with academic institutions to provide this internship for college credit.
How to Apply
Submit a cover letter and resume to Volunteer Coordinator: email@example.com, 517-999-3919.
Also complete our internship form found at:
More information about the Allen Neighborhood Center can be foundon our
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training