What's a Food Forest? Food Forestry is an ancient method of sustainable perennial-based agriculture that mimics a natural forest ecosystem. Food forests incorporate a diversity of plants and animals and are composed of a variety of active ecological niches.
About Coastal Roots Farm
Coastal Roots Farm is a community farm that integrates the practices of Jewish tradition and sustainable agriculture to grow and share healthy food, care for the land, and help and strengthen connections between neighbors. Through hands‐on educational experiences and produce donations to neighbors that need it most, the Farm is fostering a vibrant and sustainable community that grows, seeds, and shares.
Coastal Roots Farm consists of mixed gardens, an orchard/food forest, animal pastures, and a vineyard, all in various stages of development. The Farm was incubated by the Leichtag Foundation and was recently spun off as a separate 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Coastal Roots Farm is funded through a diverse revenue mix, including philanthropic partners and social enterprise.
* Food Forest Maintenance: amending soil, weeding, mulching, pruning, harvesting, minor earthworks.
* Food Forest Planting: planting pioneer trees, propagating, transplanting
* Food Forest Programming and Events: supporting volunteer groups in the Food Forest.
* Other duties as assigned.
Time Frame and Commitment
* Commitment of at least 5 hours per week
* Commitment of at least three months
* At least 24 hour notice for change in scheduling
Qualifications and Requirements
* As the food forest volunteer may be working independently around the farm and Leichtag Commons, volunteer must complete and pass a background check at their own expense
* Physical abilities: can bend over, squat, kneel or stand for extended periods of time and ability to lift at least 20 lb.
* Interest in food forestry and permaculture
* Team player, cooperative, able to take direction, an eye for detail
* Volunteer tee-shirt!
* Increase your knowledge about food forestry, building soil, managing water, and growing perennials.
* Knowledge that you've helped increase access to locally grown, fresh and healthy produce to community members in need
- Environmental Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- 5 hours per week, for at least 3 months
- can bend over, squat, kneel or stand for extended periods of time and ability to lift 20 lb