Calling All Sewers
Addison County Home Health and Hospice is in need of hot rice packs. Patients in the community are very appreciative of these heat bags. Volunteers can sew the rice packs according to the below instructions and drop them off at the RSVP office (48 Court Street) for distribution.
- Thick cotton weight material (no glitter or metal as these will be heated in microwaves). Whole cloves added to the COOKING (not minute rice) rice will make the bags smell good when reheated several times. Different size and shape rice bags are welcome, but the following rectangular shape is the most versatile. Any shape should have divider sections to keep the rice evenly distributed.
- Cut a rectangular pouch & sew the seams so that the FINISHED product is 12" long by 6" wide.
- Sew FOUR divider sections to separate the rice so that it's evenly distributed in the pouch.
- Fill the sections 2/3 with rice so it spreads evenly in the section without being stuffed. Add whole cloves to each section.
- Close the seams
- Sew a "pillowcase" style cover for each rice bag as this is the layer of material that touches the person's skin to keep the main bag clean
79 Court Street, Middlebury, VT 05753, US
RSVP is national volunteer management services which offer individuals age 55 and up the opportunity to share their experience, skills and time by volunteering for local non-profit organizations.
RSVP recruits, places and supports its volunteers, providing them with meaningful opportunities to contribute to their community. Addison County's non-profits' needs are met in critical areas such as human service, health, state and local government, education, literacy and the arts. RSVP also oversees several signature programs that benefit local residents. These include free Bone Builders osteoporosis prevention classes; the Green Mountain Foster Grandparent Program, which places volunteers in our schools; the Warm Hearts Warm Hands Initiative which distributes handmade items to local schools, nursing homes, social service agencies and hospitals; and the RSVP Tax Program which provides free tax services to low income residents. These programs allow Addison County residents to stay healthy, financially stable, and successfully age in place.
We'll work with your schedule.
RSVP79 Court St.Middlebury, VT 05753
- Hospice Care