What's El Jardin? An artisanal garden that educates folks how to cultivate vegetables, flowers, and herbs without machinery and maximize potential yields in areas with limited square footage. Designed for growers that have an interest in cultivating a space that ranges from 0.25 - 0.5 acre.
About Coastal Roots Farm
Coastal Roots Farm is a community farm that integrates the practices of Jewish tradition and sustainable agriculture to grow and share healthy food, care for the land, and help and strengthen connections between neighbors. Through hands?on educational experiences and produce donations to neighbors that need it most, the Farm is fostering a vibrant and sustainable community that grows, seeds, and shares.
Coastal Roots Farm consists of mixed gardens, an orchard/food forest, animal pastures, and a vineyard, all in various stages of development. The Farm was incubated by the Leichtag Foundation and was recently spun off as a separate 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. Coastal Roots Farm is funded through a diverse revenue mix, including philanthropic partners and social enterprise.
* Harvesting vegetables and flowers
* Washing and cleaning vegetables
* Transplanting and seed sowing
* Bed preparation including using a broad fork or double digging
* Hand Weeding and weeding with hand tools
* Pruning and cultivation of plants
* Basic irrigation maintenance
Time Frame and Commitment
* At least 16 hours per month
* Commitment of at least three months
* At least 24 hour notice for change in scheduling
Qualifications and Requirements
* As the El Jardin volunteer may be working independently around the farm and Leichtag Commons, volunteer must complete and pass a background check at their own expense
* Physical abilities: can bend over, squat, kneel or stand for extended periods of time.
* Ability to work in hot or cold temperatures
* Ability to lift or move 30 lbs
* Willingness to take direction and complete tasks from CRF staff
* Interest in organic farming and gardening, experience preferred
* Volunteer tee-shirt!
* Hands on skill building and experience on a farm
* Increase your knowledge about organically and locally grown produce
* Work outside
* Strengthen your local food system
* Knowledge that you've helped increase access to locally grown, fresh and healthy produce to community members in need
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- * At least 16 hours/month, for a minimum 3 months
- Can bend over, squat, kneel or stand for extended periods of time, work in hot or cold temperatures