Position Title: Legal Services Volunteer
Area/Program Focus: Welcoming the Stranger, Legal Immigration Services
Supports: Legal Services Staff
Position Summary: The Legal Services Volunteer will be trained and mentored in providing direct service to clients by helping them complete initial applications and renewals through direct supervision of an accredited legal representative. Bilingual, English and Spanish, applicants are strongly preferred. This is a perfect opportunity for anyone considering a future career in immigration law and/or someone wanting to assist immigrant communities navigate the legal system. This opportunity is available in Oakland, Richmond, and Concord offices.
* Provide basic eligibility screening and document requirements to clients who call or drop into Catholic Charities’ Service Centers
* Prepare evidence and declaration for specific applications and renewals as assigned
* Assist legal staff with administrative tasks including filing, data entry, etc
* Projects are completed with accuracy within the given deadline
* Interns and volunteers sustain a consistent and reliable schedule
* Initiative is taken in assisting peers and supervisors by identifying needs and action steps.
* Detail oriented and self-directed
* Excellent communication, virtual and in-person
* Culturally competent; experience working respectfully and mindfully with individuals from diverse backgrounds
* Must complete a Live Scan background check that is paid for by CCEB
* Must complete an online training in recognizing and reporting abuse
* Must volunteer at least 12 hours per week for at least 4 months
Agency Culture: Every year, Catholic Charities of the East Bay moves thousands of youth, individuals, and families from Crisis to Stability to Prosperity through 3 primary program areas: "Fostering Self-Sufficiency" provides services designed to strengthen families and increase income to livable wages; "Welcoming the Stranger" offers legal immigration, refugee relocation, and refugee employment services; "Healing Trauma" delivers immediate and sustained support to victims of crime, especially those impacted by community, domestic, and family violence, as well as mental health treatment to students and adolescents experiencing multiple, ongoing incidences of trauma.
- Basic Computer Skills
- Google Apps
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training