Visit treehousebooks.org/volunteer to apply!
Description of Position
Become a mentor and guide at Tree House Books' Book Camp by connecting students to the world of books, texts, and words, ages 0-16. At Book Camp, we focus on language acquisition, recreational reading, critical thinking, and creative writing, through 15-week cycles on selected themes. Most importantly, Literacy Coaches make books fun and relevant to the most reluctant readers and encourage esteem and self-regard through writing. Applicants should have prior tutoring experience, experience with children, the ability to work on a team, and a dedication to education and literacy in the city of Philadelphia.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Participate in volunteer training
- Remain focused on Tree House Books' mission of growing and sustaining a community of readers, writers, and thinkers
- Prepare materials and set up projects before students arrive
- Take Direction from Program Manager and Program Assitant Manager
- Assist with Book Camp activities as specified in training
- Remain flexible to changes in Book Camp curriculum and activity plans
- Problem solve conflicts and effectively communicate teamwork strategies to the Tree House Kids
- Provide Feedback on Book Camp programming
- Fill out end of day summaries that reflect on your performance as well as quality of the day's program
- Problem solve conflicts and effectively communicating teamwork strategies to the campers
- Remain an upstanding role model to Tree House Kids through encouraging hard work, ambition, and love of reading
Details & Dates
Book Camp is Monday- Thursday, 2:30-6:30 pm. Applications can indicate which weekdays they would like to participate in their application.
Spring Book camp runs 1/30-5/12, with a week off for Spring Break from 4/10-4/15. Tree House Books understand applicants may need a week off for Spring Break or Finals and should indicate that at the time of application. Literacy Coaches should be advised that three or more unexcused absences are grounds for dismissal from the position.
Literacy Coach interviews will be held 11 am & 4 pm on January 23rd, while Literacy Coach Orientation will be held at 4 pm on January 24th
All Tree House Books Volunteers must be able to obtain and submit the following clearances by the date of their first scheduled Book Camp shift:
- FBI Cogent Fingerprints
- Child Abuse Clearances
- Criminal Background Checks
- Literacy / Reading
- People Skills
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- 2:30-6:30, M-F, 1-2 day Minimum commitment
- Necessary background checks for working with Children