Position Overview: This volunteer helps with general maintenance and upkeep of tropical, garden and native plants in the indoor and outdoor exhibits.
Length of commitment:All year, Monday - Friday mornings anytime between 8 am - 10 am. Expectation of 8 hours per month. Most volunteers choose one regularly scheduled day per week.
- Assist staff and other volunteers with weeding, watering, pruning and deadheading
- Scout and manage pests with environmentally friendly methods
- Assist horticulture staff with planting bulbs, seeds, annuals, perennials and woodies in outdoor gardens
- Participate in larger landscape projects, such as applying mulch and compost
- May work with staff on special projects, such as collecting and cleaning seeds, hanging holiday lights or composting
Initial Impact:These volunteers ensure that our plant collections provide healthy habitats for our invertebrates on display and native wildlife, as well creating an excellent visitor experience.
Sustainable Outcome:Our outdoor gardens and nature trail provide food and shelter for a number of native animal species. By using environmentally friendly techniques, our volunteers improve the diversity of our local ecology!
Training & Support:Volunteers, once they have completed the NVSO, will be mentored by expert horticulture staff. Specific projects will be done side-by-side with horticulture staff - please contact the Director of Horticulture for more information.
Qualifications & Skills: Volunteers should be conscientious and detail-oriented, and be prepared to do active work in tropical and outdoor environments for prolonged periods of time. Gardening does sometimes require bending, crouching, kneeling and lifting. Conditions may include heat, cold, wind, rain and snow.
Benefits to volunteer:Volunteers work closely with staff and other volunteers, forming a sense of community in the fresh air and among beautiful gardens. Volunteers also learn more about plants, butterflies and other animals, as well as best gardening practices. Horticulture Assistants, after their first 50 hours, have the opportunity to become Specialists in an area of interest.
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 8 hours per month (two hours per week commitment)
- Some bending, lifting, standing required; volunteers work both indoors and out depending on weather