Help care for the Butterfly Pavilion’s tropical, garden and native plants in our indoor and outdoor exhibits! In our exhibits, volunteers ensure that our plant collections provide healthy habitats for our invertebrates on display, creating an excellent visitor experience. And outside the pavilion, volunteers help gardens and nature trails thrive, providing food and shelter for a number of native animal species.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
Assist staff and other volunteers with weeding, watering, pruning and deadheading. Scout and manage pests with environmentally friendly methods. Assist horticulture staff with planting bulbs, seeds, annuals, perennials and woodies in outdoor gardens. Work with staff on special projects, such as collecting and cleaning seeds, or composting.
Gardening volunteers must be able to commit to a weekly schedule and at least 8 hours a month. Shifts are available Sunday through Friday between 7:00am and 11:00am.
- Work closely with staff and other volunteers, forming a sense of community in the fresh air and among beautiful gardens!
- Opportunities to learn more about plants, butterflies and other animals, as well as best gardening practices.
- Fun educational and social activities.
- Discounted membership and gift shop sales, and much more!
TO GET INVOLVED, APPLY HERE:
ORIENTATION DATES (9 am - 11 am):
- September 23rd, 2017
- October 7th, 2017
- November 11th, 2017
***Please note that an application, interview and criminal background check are required in the selection process. Not all applicants will be selected.***
- Habitat Restoration
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 8 hours per month (two hours per week commitment)
- Some bending, lifting, standing required; volunteers work both indoors and out depending on weather