The Marketing & Communications intern/volunteer works closely with the Development & Communications Coordinator (Coordinator) to support the efforts of Compass Center to increase awareness of our services and events throughout the community by helping to create marketing materials, promote events, maintain content and graphics for website, and social media channels. NOTE: The Coordinator will provide training for all areas of responsibility as needed.
The position requires a commitment of 5-10 hours per week in our office, as needed, for either:
Spring & Summer 2017
Spring & Fall 2017 (if you are a student and will be gone for the summer)
- Assist in Preparing Marketing Materials
- Design flyers for community events, classes, promotional events and other collateral materials as assigned.
- Design graphics for social media outlets including Facebook and Instagram.
- Design and update flyers describing services and factsheets.
- Design graphics and crop images for e-newsletter, e-messaging and brochures.
- Assist with designing, updating and revising brochures and annual report.
- Assist with copyediting for the various promotional materials.
- Website Maintenance
- Design sliders for homepage for special events and promotions.
- Design graphics or crop images for the website events and news post, and web pages.
- Update events to calendar.
- Manage web pages as directed - create new pages, update existing pages, delete old pages.
- Manage web tabs as directed - add new tabs, update existing tabs and delete old tabs.
- Assist with SEO optimization.
- Assist with trouble shooting issues that relate to any of the assignments listed in this description.
- NOTE:This position will not be required to maintain the WordPress updates, update SEOs, add plugins, revise theme or perform any similar technical tasks relating to the website. Nor will this position be required to contact the web hosting company regarding any issues relating to the site. If a problem occurs with the website, it is to be reported to the Coordinator immediately.
- Outreach and Publicity
- Assist with development of creative concepts and marketing strategies for promoting the work of Compass Center.
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner with press, community contacts and vendors
- Work with Coordinator to identify Facebook and other social media strategies to promote events.
- Work closely with the Coordinator to coordinate and collaborate with community partners and key stakeholders to share and publicize information and manage events.
- Community Events
- Assist in research and implementation of event ideas.
- Coordinate logistics of events with community organizations, i.e. time, location, etc.
- Finalize event logistics with the Coordinator.
- When possible, attend community events hosted by Compass Center to take photos for Instagram and other marketing materials. Photos should be sent directly to the Coordinator.
- Provide a brief review of the event. For example: At least15 people attended the Happy Hour fundraiser. Everyone said they enjoying the activities. Needed more marketing materials, ran out half way through the event.Also needed more volunteers to help greet guests.
- Google Analytics
- Maintain monthly excel report for website analytics including number of visits, new visitors, page visits, page time, etc.
- Maintain monthly excel report for e-newsletters open rate, bounce rate, open link rate, etc.
- Maintain monthly excel report for Facebook stats (numbers provided by the Coordinator).
- Database maintenance:
- Once a month, assist with adding names from sign-in sheets to e-newsletter database.
- Social Media / Blogging
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
- Public Relations
- Brand Development & Messaging
- Graphic Design / Print
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 10 hrs/week