Harlem RBI, an award winning youth development program, is seeking volunteer coaches to work with youth between the ages of 11-18 in practices and games. Coaches teach baseball/softball and provide youth with opportunities to play, learn, and grow, inspiring them to recognize their potential and realize their dreams. Each coach serves as a member of a team made up of coaches and managers. Harlem RBI volunteer coaches can have a direct and meaningful impact on the positive development of the youth they coach. The ideal candidate is passionate about youth development, has played and/or coached baseball/softball, and is an effective communicator.
Roles and Responsibilities
* Coach youth in technical skills, teambuilding and personal development;
* Lead practices, facilitate team meetings and attend professional development trainings;
* Provide a positive, team-based environment focused on teaching baseball, softball and life skills;
* Attend 1 weeknight practice and 1 weekend game each week during the season.
* Passionate about youth development;
* Understanding of the power of teamwork;
* Ability to create a positive, team-based environment focused on teaching baseball/softball;
* Organizational skills, energy and flexibility;
* Solid oral communication skills;
* Ability to commit to the coaching position for at least one full season;
* Baseball/Softball playing or coaching experience for ages 13 and up;
* Experience with inner-city coaching (a plus);
* At least 18 years of age.
Time commitment varies by age group but is generally 4-8 hours/week. Practices (weeknights) typically last 1.5 hours and games (weekends) last between 2-5 hours. The coaching staff of a Harlem RBI team consists of up to five adult volunteers: a manager and four coaches.
- Child Development
- Child Welfare
- Youth Services
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 3-6 hrs/week