On March 28, 2011, on his ninetieth birthday Robert LaMar Yarborough (LaMar) was diagnosed with AIDS (acquired immune deficiency syndrome). In December of the same year, he was also diagnosed with Cancer. Despite these life changing events, LaMar prevailed. With much prayer and strong will he beat cancer and became HIV undetectable (controlled). Living with the virus LaMar grew an urge to working hands on with HIV/AIDS. He started volunteering with different organizations.
After living with the virus for 3years, LaMar formed his own organization, HIV Positive Youth That Pledge to Empower Themselves and Others or (H.Y.P.E). H.Y.P.E was created from inspiration, love, and compassion.
As the founder and Executive Director of this Non-Profit, I was inspired to start a vibrant organization, I did not want anyone else to look at their diagnosis in a negative way. Instead, I wanted to give hope.
In this advocacy, our efforts may be great, but they are not enough yet. We are a young organization and our immediate goals is to build the foundation in which we plan to kick start our initiatives in different communities in Atlanta and in the future the south.
Our programs at HYPE, which involve community service, HIV education and care, and self and social empowerment, should materialize today in order to ensure sustainability and long-term benefits. Your knowledge and skills can help us make that possible.
BOARD TREASURER JOB DESCRIPTION
In summary, the Treasurer is responsible for:
- General financial oversight
- Funding, fundraising and sales
- Financial reporting
- Banking , book keeping and record keeping
- Financial knowledge of the organization.
- Personal commitment to devote the time necessary to perform the responsibilities of Treasurer.
- Understanding of financial accounting for nonprofit organizations.
- Demonstrated familiarization with the H.Y.P.E. to Empower Inc. community.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain strict confidentiality in regards to research and medical information.
- Foster a positive working relationship with other Board members, researchers, medical professionals.
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Bachelor's degree in mathematics and/or economics. (Not required but plus)
- M.B.A. or other advanced degree in finance, economics, statistics or similar fields. (Not required but plus)
- CTP or CFA a plus. (Not required but plus)
- Knowledge of capital and currency markets, accounting, finance and tax. (Not required but plus)
- Serves as Chair of the Finance Committee.
- Manages, with the Finance Committee, the Board's review of, and action related to, the Board's financial responsibilities.
- Works with the Executive Director and fundraising committee to ensure that appropriate financial reports are made available to the Board on a timely basis.
- Assists the Executive Director and fundraising committee in preparing the annual budget, and presenting the budget to the Board for approval.
- Works with the Finance Committee and the Executive Director to develop Fiscal Policies for recommendation to the Board to ensure the financial integrity and sustainability of the organization.
- Works with the Finance Committee and the Executive Director to develop long-term financial strategies.
- Keeps currently informed of legal, regulatory and sector developments relating to the Board's financial responsibilities.
- Recommends insurance carriers to Board of Directors and pays necessary premiums
- Provides for an annual review of financial records by an independent accountant if directed by the Board of Directors.
- File appropriate Income Tax Forms. Manage debt obligations and lender relationships.
- Manage payment processing and fraud prevention functions.
- Help create the organizations fundraising strategy
- Ensure treasury activities are in compliance with treasury policies, accounting guidelines, governance policies and internal controls.
- Ensure fundraising and sales complies with relevant legislative by effective financial systems and controls.
The Treasurer ensures that proper notification is given of directors' and members' meetings as specified in the bylaws. The Treasurer manages the general finances of the Board of Directors except for such duties assigned to others.
The Treasurer participates in Board meetings. The Treasurer provides items for the agenda as appropriate.
The Treasurer may be designated by the Board of Directors and/or bylaws as one of the signing officers for certain documents. In this capacity, the Treasurer may be authorized or required to sign or countersign checks, correspondence, applications, reports, contracts or other documents on behalf of organization.
TREASURER, BOARD OF TRUSTEES
PERSONAL REQUIREMENTS: SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- A commitment to the values of those living with HIV.
- An understanding of strategic and financial leadership:-
- financial processes, structures & administration;
- the principles of effective organisational planning;
- how to manage change.
- An understanding of good governance:-
- the basics of charity and company law;
- recognising and maintaining the distinction between governance and management.
- Leadership qualities:-
- the ability to chair meetings effectively;
- supporting the Chair in achieving their goals.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills:-
- the ability to communicate all financial issues in clear English and with minimal use of jargon, to facilitate clear understanding by all trustees of their responsibilities in this area;
- the ability to represent Breast Cancer Care externally, through networking, public speaking, etc;
- the ability to communicate with VIPs, major donors, celebrities and others in the course of such representational work.
More About our Organization
Our advocacy to help HIV-People including the youth, adults, and families - through awareness and education to promote their personal and social well-being has inspired the creation of HYPE (HIV+ Youth that Pledge to Empower Themselves and Others).
This nonprofit organization exists to transform the lives of youth, young adults, families, and communities living with HIV. Our youngest member enrolled in the program is 5 years old. We aim to cater to everyone in the community who needs attention and assistance. Through our comprehensive and relevant services and programs at HYPE, we provide the link to HIV awareness, sufficient treatment, and support.
We empower our members to become leaders in their own community through immersions, mentoring and leadership trainings. Our founder, Lamar Yarborough, was diagnosed with HIV and cancer when he was just 18. Immensely grateful for surviving his personal ordeals, he is committed to helping all people living with HIV through the help of the HYPE members who share 20 years of experience with the HIV/AIDS community. Lamar is especially passionate about providing much-needed inspiration and hope for the HIV-positive youth in our program.
A collective effort to provide education, counselling, medical, social, and professional support is necessary to achieve the goals of our organization, hence we are counting on you to assist us in pursuing our initiatives.
In addition to our direct services for HIV positive individuals and communities, we also aim to provide our skills and expertise to persons, groups, organizations and businesses who wish to utilize the HYPE model in targeting areas where they wish to make a difference.
We welcome your help and contribution, and we hope that together we can reverse the negative stigma of HIV/AIDS - to view a positive HIV diagnosis as a challenge that can be conquered with supportive friends, family, and the entire HYPE community.
Submit resume as a single .pdf document.
Application filename should read: First name Last name - Treasurer or Accountant
LaMar Yarborough (Executive Director)
We strongly support inclusiveness and encourage immigrants, refugees, LGBTQ+, folks with (dis)abilities, and traditionally marginalized communities to apply.
- Financial Planning
- Cost Analysis
- ETC / Tax Assistance
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment