Broadview Emergency Shelter & Transitional Housing seeks volunteers to provide a safe, supervised space for children while their mothers attend onsite groups or meetings. Volunteers commit to 1-2 hours a week, usually in the afternoons or evenings, Sunday through Thursday.
Broadview provides housing for homeless women and children in a secure, confidential facility. Most Broadview residents are domestic violence survivors, and two-thirds are children. Our mission is to help residents cope with the trauma of displacement and abuse, address the issues that led to their homelessness, develop a strong community support system, and find and secure permanent housing. Volunteers play an important role at Broadview!
No specific skills or experience needed, though we appreciate experience with children. Must be at least 18 years of age. Desired qualifications include:
- Sensitivity to the concerns of women and children living on low incomes who are in crisis or transition
- Ability to work with staff, volunteers, and residents with a variety of racial, cultural, and
socioeconomic backgrounds, lifestyles, and sexual orientations
- Ability to be nonjudgmental, resourceful, creative, consistent and flexible
- Willingness to work as part of a team and independently
- Desire to work with children of various ages and abilities
- complete an application
- agree to a background check
- provide three references
- attend a volunteer orientation
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 1-2 hrs/wk; 3 month commitment
- Food and Garden Youth Educator...
- 55 or older? Improve food...
- Cooking Matters Class Assistant
- 55 or older? Share your Love of...
- Assist with Children & Youth...
- Child Care
- Nutrition Education: Class...
- 55 and older? Eager to enrich...
- Chef Instructor
- Calling Volunteer Tutors 55 &...
- 55 and older? Assist with adult...
- Food Education Coordinator...
- Calling Volunteer Companions 55...
- Nutrition Instructor