Apple Corps seeks volunteers to assist in classes where children learn how to prepare and eat new foods, as well as garden and lead active lifestyles.
About Apple Corps
Our nutrition education team shares fun hands-on activities, lessons and meals to promote confidence in tastes, preferences and attitudes about food with children and families experiencing poverty and oppression. Currently, we serve three south Seattle elementary schools where over 50% of students qualify for free and reduced meals. This program also collaborates with schools, community groups, and local organizations to connect families to health-promoting resources.
With classroom curricula around cooking and nutrition, and coordinated school activities and events, children learn how to prepare and eat new foods, as well as garden and lead active lifestyles. Children directly see, touch, taste and explore new and familiar foods, and can take ownership of their interactions with food.
Nutrition Education: Class Assistant
We seek volunteer class assistants for our school teaching teams. A class assistant helps prepare materials for lessons at their respective school site, including: prepping and cooking ingredients and setting up activity materials. Class assistants contribute to lesson delivery by facilitating a cooking/activity station with small groups of K-5 students, or leading a short activity (cooking demonstration, nutrition game, or movement activity) with a whole classroom. Class assistants also assist with clean up and break-down of materials at the end of a lesson, and some data entry. Opportunities to engage in classroom management, and lesson planning, are also available if desired by the volunteer.
- Experience with, and enjoyment working with students (ages 6-15)
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to dynamic classrooms and learning environments
- Willingness and ability to work with people from a variety of racial, cultural and economic backgrounds, with various lifestyles, sexual orientations, and of all ages
- Experience and/or willingness to work with children and adults who are English language learners
- Friendly, reliable, and committed to providing children with an engaging, anti-oppressive, and positive educational experience
- Proactive and independent; but comfortable collaborating with a small team
- Interest in nutrition, education, public health and/or food justice
- Pass a background check
- Ability to speak other languages a plus
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Flexible; Between 8am-4pm; 1 class ~ 2.5hrs/wk
- Cooking Matters Class Assistant
- 55 or older? Improve food...
- Tutor Children & Youth
- Assist with Children & Youth...
- Child Care
- Child/Youth Group Assistant
- Nutrition Education: Class...
- RSVP - for those 55 & older, and...
- Chef Instructor
- 55 or older? Help a child reach...
- RSVP needs volunteers to assist...
- Adult Day and Companionship
- Share Your Love of Cooking and...
- Nutrition Instructor
- 55 or older? Mentor newly...
- After School Tutor