a tax volunteer works with a client
- Want to prepare taxes with us? Training and certification are mandatory to prepare taxes. Training will be held in January. We host our trainings at LCCC-City Center (201 West Erie Lorain, Ohio 44055). Basic certification is required to prepare returns. Advanced is optional, but if you already have some tax knowledge or want to learn more in depth tax preparation skills, Advanced preparers are always in demand. Basic and Advanced will be offered on January 7 th and January 14 th from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm; you will leave the training with the necessary certifications to prepare tax returns. Software training and interactive role playing (mock tax appointments) will be offered January 21 st and January 28 th from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm. I strongly encourage everyone to consider attending software training, even just for a short time. Feedback from volunteers in previous years has been that the software training is incredibly helpful in getting started with volunteering. You’re welcome to start signing up for training now; you can simply just respond to this email.
- Thinking the actual preparation of taxes might not be your style but still want to help out? We have opportunities for greeters. Greeters help the clients get signed in and check that they have their proper documentation. Greeters only need to take a standards of conduct (ethics) quiz which is available online or during the first hour on January 7 th or 14 th trainings.
- Speak a second language? We always have a need for translation services, especially for Spanish speakers. You can serve as a translator alone, a greeter and translator, or a preparer and translator. To be a translator alone, you just need to take the standards of conduct quiz referenced above.
- Can’t make a Saturday training or want to train on your own time? Trainings are available online. If that is something you are interested in, please let me know and I will help get you started on that.
- Wondering what the volunteering schedule is like? We offer a variety of "packages" that can fit almost every schedule. We have hours available Monday - Saturday between 8 am and 9 pm.
- ETC / Tax Assistance
- Customer Service
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum 4 hours a week for 12 weeks