Atlanta GLOW is currently seeking board members with expertise in the following areas: Financial Management/Accounting, Legal, Public Relations/Communications, Business Planning and Fundraising.
The Board will support the work of Atlanta GLOW and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by Atlanta GLOW’s Executive Director (ED), the Advisory Board-ED relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected.
General Advisory Board Member responsibilities include:Leadership, Governance and Oversight
- Maintaining knowledge of the organization and a personal commitment to its goals and objectives
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the ED as she develops and implements Atlanta GLOW’s strategic plan
- Reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Assisting the ED in identifying and recruiting other Advisory Board Members
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing Atlanta GLOW to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring Atlanta GLOW’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities Atlanta GLOW serves
Atlanta GLOW Advisory Board Members will consider Atlanta GLOW a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that Atlanta GLOW can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, Atlanta GLOW expects to have 100 % of Advisory Board Members make an annual contribution of at least $300 (Give or Raise).Board Terms and Participation
Atlanta GLOW’s Advisory Board Members must continue to meet attendance, monetary, and participation requirements. The time commitment for individual board duties is estimated at 1-5 hours a month, depending on the time of year. Board meetings will be held quarterly (in February, May, August, and November); the frequency of committee meetings will vary.
Advisory Board membership is assessed and renewed annually. The maximum board term is 3 years. If a member initially joined between January - June, their 3-year term will be calculated from January of that year. If a member initially joined between July - December, their 3-year term will be calculated from January of the following year. This is to ensure that new thoughts and ideas can be introduced to the leadership of this organization so that it may continue to grow and experience momentum in the best way possible. However, this does not mean that an advisory board member is guaranteed a 3-year term; a member may be removed or may resign due to other factors both internal and external to the organization at the discretion of the Executive Director and/or Advisory Board Member.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about Atlanta GLOW’s mission and who has a track record of board leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing board members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- A commitment to and understanding of Atlanta GLOW’s beneficiaries, preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of spirituality, integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of Atlanta GLOW’s beneficiaries
Service on Atlanta GLOW’s Advisory Board is without remuneration, except for reimbursement for administrative support costs in relation to Advisory Board Members’ duties.
- Program Management
- Strategic Planning
- Business Development & Sales Management
- Community Outreach
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 25
- Orientation or Training
- 12 months
- $300 Annual Dues