This is an opportunity in Rock Hill, SC. The Children's Attention Home is a residential program that serves children ages birth through 21 who have been removed from their homes because of abuse, abandonment, or neglect.
DESCRIPTION: Cooking Instructors share their knowledge and skills by teaching our residents how to select, purchase, and prepare meals.
- Minimum age-21
- Previous experience as a home cook or professional chef
- A friendly and professional demeanor
- Exhibit excellent level of responsibility, reliability, and punctuality
TIME COMMITMENT REQUIRED:
Friends of the Kitchen commit to a monthly visit for 3-4 hours on the evenings or weekends.
DRESS CODE: Must wear closed toe non-slip shoes and comfortable relaxed attire.
TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Follow all rules, regulations, and policies of the Home.
- Plan, lead, and implement cooking classes for a small group of 6-8 teen residents.
- Break down recipe steps into simple, doable tasks so that each class participant can be involved in food preparation/cooking at a 'cooking station’.
- Demonstrate and teach the following skills: proper knife handling skills, various cooking methods, food safety, recipe reading and sanitation practices.
- Highlight and supplement culinary information with your own nutrition/health knowledge and experience.
Please be sure to provide the following information:
- contact number
- best time to reach you
- days/times you are available to serve
- skills/previous experience in a similar role
Volunteers that serve in this capacity must be 21 years of age and are required to complete an application, background check ($16 fee), as well as attend a (1) hour volunteer orientation.
Please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Sharada Abraham, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
We also encourage you to follow us on Facebook or visit our website at www.attentionhome.org.
- Child Development
- Teaching / Instruction
- Youth Services
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- 3-4 hours per quarter