SHINE Volunteer Counselors (Medicare)
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
1 person is interested
SHINE (Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders) is part of a national volunteer program that provides free and unbiased counseling services to Medicare beneficiaries by empowering seniors to make informed decisions about their health insurance coverage. SHINE is currently recruiting volunteers for Charlotte County. For more information on how you can become a Medicare trained volunteer counselor, please call the Area Agency on Aging for Southwest Florida, Helpline at 1-866-413-5337 or visit www.FloridaSHINE.org .
The rewards for volunteer service are plentiful. Since the Program’s inception in 1993, SHINE volunteers have helped Florida seniors and their caregivers save millions of dollars, and they have brought peace of mind to those who needed guidance in understanding and accessing health insurance options.
Become a volunteer today.
About Area Agency on Aging for Southwest Florida
15201 North Cleveland Avenue, Suite 1100, North Fort Myers, FL 33903, US
Area Agency on Aging for Southwest Florida connects older adults and adults with disabilities to resources and assistance for living safely with independence and dignity.
AAASWFL is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization serving older adults (age 60-up) and adults with disabilities in Charlotte, Collier, DeSoto, Glades, Hendry, Lee and Sarasota counties. AAASWFL is also the state’s designated Aging and Disability Resource Center for our seven-county area. In 2018, we are celebrating our 40th year in Southwest Florida.
Our three primary functions are:
- The Elder Helpline: AAASWFL operates the Elder Helpline (866-41-ELDER), a toll-free service that helps seniors, adults with disabilities, and caregivers find support in our community. We are also the state’s point of entry for long-term care programs and screen applicants for the state’s priority list for government-funded services.
- OutreachPrograms: AAASWFL provides direct programs for Southwest Florida seniors and people with disabilities. These include health & wellness workshops for older adults and caregivers, SHINE Medicare benefits counseling, and elder abuse prevention and education programs.
- Quality Assurance and Planning: AAASWFL manages and oversees government-funded elder and disability programs to ensure that taxpayer dollars are being spent effectively. We also develop an annual area plan that reflects the needs and issues of elders in our region.
We'll work with your schedule.
Rebecca Owens Sr. Center27420 Voyageur Dr.Punta Gorda, FL 33983
- Program Management
- Cost Analysis
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- General Education
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Four hours per week with a two year commitment.