Breakthrough Greater Boston (BTGB) is a successful college access and teacher training program. BTGB offers six years of academic enrichment and college preparation to middle school and high school students with high potential but limited opportunities. Simultaneously, BTGB recruits, trains, and inspires a diverse cohort of high achieving college students to become the next generation of urban teachers. Using a Students Teaching Students model, BTGB provides engaging, tuition‐free academic programming during the summer and after school. Our students gain the skills and motivation to succeed in rigorous high school courses and, ultimately, in college. Meanwhile, our teachers gain hands on experience, research‐based training, and coaching from professional educators.
Over the past six years, 97% of our graduating students have matriculated to four‐year colleges, and 82% of them have persisted through their undergraduate years. On average, more than 75% of our graduating teachers have gone on to pursue careers in education. After two decades of success at our original Cambridge site, BTGB embarked upon a significant program expansion and opened a second site in Dorchester in the summer of 2013.
The Marketing and Communications Intern will take an active role in the establishment and implementation of BTGB’s social media and broader communication strategy, working collaboratively with the development team and Executive Director.
Electronic and Print (50%)
* Create communications materials, including content for the Breakthrough Bulletin Newsletter and press releases
* Assist in creating content for and managing the production of BTGB’s tri‐annual Newsletter (circulation of approximately 1,200)
* Help with the production and management of event‐related print and electronic materials (invitations, programs, signage, etc.)
* Support the development team in updating the BTGB website
Social Media (50%)
* Assist the development team in:
1. Managing social media outlets
2. Implementing a social media strategy that (a) complements existing organizational
communications efforts and (b) will leverage BTGB’s use of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn,
and YouTube to drive user engagement and broaden our audience
3. Assessing BTGB’s current audience across its social media platforms, examine how each is
unique, and integrate findings into an outreach strategy
4. Producing creative content that is distinct and engaging
Please note that these are specific responsibilities. Your job may include a number of other tasks as well, as Breakthrough programs thrive on flexibility, creativity, and a willingness to pitch in!
* Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy in all work; attention to detail
* Strong communicator (both oral and written) with a positive attitude
* Self‐starter who is comfortable taking initiative on projects; leadership skills
* Organized individual who is able to manage both short‐term and long‐term projects
* MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint experience required; Adobe CS, desirable; fundraising database (e‐Tapestry), a plus
The two Breakthrough Greater Boston sites are located at the Cambridge Rindge and Latin School and TechBoston Academy in Dorchester (both accessible by public transportation). The Special Events Intern workspace is located in a busy, open office area with the permanent staff. Depending on projects and scheduling, the Special Events Intern may be asked to travel to both sites. A minimum of 8 hours per week is preferred. The spring internship begins in January and ends in May.
The Special Events Intern is an unpaid position.
* Direct hands‐on experience in event management with a successful nonprofit
* Professional development coaching and opportunities based on individual interest
* Experience participating in Breakthrough Greater Boston program presentations and events
* Vacation days include all major holidays
* Collegial, flexible work environment
To apply, please email your resume and a cover letter detailing your interest in Breakthrough Greater Boston and relevant skills/experience to email@example.com with the subject line "Marketing and Communications Intern."
For more information, please visit www.breakthroughgreaterboston.org. Candidates for employment and employees are considered without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, citizenship, military status, gender identity, genetic disposition or carrier status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Thank you for your interest in Breakthrough Greater Boston!
- Resource Development / Management
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Public Relations
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment