What is the Purpose of the Humane Educator Program?· to provide trained volunteers capable of teaching humane education programs to the general public, as requested by the Education Department.
· to provide Humane Educators with the necessary education and training required to become effective teachers of humane education.
· to provide Humane Educators with on-going educational opportunities and thus the general public with education about the worth of animals and their proper care.
What is Humane Education?
Humane education involves far more than the teaching of a simple animal-related curriculum. It is a process through which we:
· assist children in developing compassion, a sense of justice, and a respect for the value of all living creatures.
· provide the knowledge and understanding necessary for children to behave according to these principles.
· foster a sense of responsibility on the part of children to affirm and act upon their personal beliefs.
Why Teach Humane Education?
Numerous studies have shown that there is a correlation between abuse/ violence towards animals and a progression to violence towards people.
Teaching about the bond between people and animals is a birth to death process. Our education department prides itself on having something---in the way of education---for everyone!
The National PTA Congress states:
"Children trained to extend justice, kindness and mercy to animals become more just, kind and considerate in their relations with each other. Character training along these lines will result in men and women of broader sympathies, more humane, more law-abiding and in every respect more valuable citizens.
Humane education is teaching in the schools and colleges of the nation the principles of justice, goodwill and humanity toward all life. The cultivation of the spirit of kindness to animals is but the starting point towards that larger humanity which includes one's fellow of every race and creed. A generation of people trained in these principles will solve their difficulties as neighbors and not as enemies."
----1933 National P.T.A. Congress
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Varies 1-8 hours
- We seek a 6 month committment to serve 2-3 times per month.