South Alabama Muscular Dystrophy Association will be sponsoring an event on September 28th, 2017 called the Auburn-Opelika 2017 Executive Lock Up. The event is held to cover the cost of summer camp for children with muscle disease. Business and community leaders volunteer to "go behind bars" as part of MDA’s Lock-Up event. During the event, participants - "Jailbirds" - will be locked up for one hour as they attempt to raise "bail" by encouraging friends, family, and co-workers to make a contribution to directly benefit MDA families in the Lee County area. MDA’s Lock-Up theme helps illustrate what a serious problem neuromuscular disease is and why we need to do something about it now. Jailbirds only lose their freedom for one hour, but for children and adults fighting muscle disease, the loss of mobility and the challenges that result when muscles stop working are progressive and permanent. It is thanks to the support from our Lock-Up participants and generosity from community members that we will raise critical funds and awareness to help families who live with these debilitating effects live stronger, longer lives. MDA will use the donation to help raise additional funds to support MDA’s life-enhancing programs such as state-of-the-art support groups and clinics, including the MDA Care Center at Kirklin Clinic at UAB, Children’s of Alabama and Children’s South, and Spain Rehab Clinic at UAB in the Birmingham area. They also make MDA summer camp possible so kids with muscle disease can enjoy "the best week of the year" at Camp ASCCA in Jackson’s Gap, AL on Lake Martin and nearly 80 other locations nationwide.
- Photo Station: Responsible for taking "mug shots" of "jailbirds" with a digital camera.
- Check Out: Responsible for instructing "jailbirds" on their checkout procedure and collecting donations and pledges.
- Prize Table: Responsible for handing out goodie bags and any plaques or other prizes that jailbirds have earned.
- Floor Coverage: Responsible for assisting MDA staff with monitoring the event room.
- Greeter: Greets jailbirds upon entering jail.
- Mailroom: Write out pledges, separate, stuff & seal.
- Administrative Support
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Community Outreach
- Children Medical Services
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 10:00AM to 2:30PM