Community Outreach Volunteer
Purpose: The purpose of the Patient Access Volunteer Development program is to engage volunteers to enhance the support of blood cancer patients and their families and increase the awareness of LLS to further the Mission.
Position Title: Community Outreach Volunteer
Commitment: 5 hours per month or mutually agreed upon time, Monday - Friday, during business hours and the occasional weekend. Flexible schedule. 6 month commitment desired.
Basic Function: Engage LLS stakeholders with the goal of connecting every newly diagnosed blood cancer patient to LLS.
Direction: Volunteers under the direction of the Patient Access Staff to accomplish assigned duties and responsibilities.
Location: Local chapter office or remote. If remote, must have access to computer, internet, email and phone.
Training: LLS orientation and volunteer training pertaining to job duties and responsibilities.
Key Responsibilities May Include:
- Create and/or maintain existing health care professional (HCPs) relationships with local oncology centers and community organizations
- Present LLS Patient Access resources and encourage HCPs to utilize LLS patient referral form
- Update and maintain local hospital/clinic resource libraries with LLS materials
- Attend and display LLS patient access materials at community health events, such as health fairs and education programs
- Document new contacts, outreach meetings and personal volunteer hours
- Strong interpersonal skills and professional demeanor
- Comfort with public speaking
- Strong verbal and written skills
- Comfortable working with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Experience working in healthcare settings a plus
- Sales experiences a plus
Outreach is an integral step to help increase healthcare professional referrals and in turn, guide more blood
cancer patients to LLS resources and services. This position has great opportunities to network and make
professional contacts, have access to LLS events, and be part of a nationwide LLS community.
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18