About the Video Tech and Production Volunteer Position:
We have recently launched a new project that focuses, not only on filming unique content, but on building relationships with allies in the social justice community and educating/updating the public. With a focus on engaging the community, volunteers would take part in attending/filming events and protests, conducting interviews with participants, and generating short pieces and clips for the Left Forum website, YouTube page, and social media accounts. We hope to develop this project in the coming months and expand its reach and creative potential - which is something we need your help to do!
This volunteer position can be molded to fit your strengths and interests. So, whether you are interested in the project brainstorming, producing, filming, or editing side of this type of project, there will be plenty of work for you to engage and plenty of room for your creativity.
Film students and social media activists alike are welcome! This is an excellent opportunity to develop and hone your video production and editing skills while gaining valuable, high-profile experience in the academic and nonprofit arenas.
- Film, edit, and produce video clips, promotional pieces, and full length videos
- Utilize multiple video editing and production platforms.
- Work with ally video and media outlets in the production - and posting - of video footage
- Join in and help build team-work in creative development and production processes
- Help digitize, edit, upload, and promote video content
- Help to create and maintain a user-friendly interactive archival video interface
Background and Desired Experience:
- Passion for social justice and social/political education is a must
- Previous media or video experience is helpful but not required
- The ability to see projects through to their completion
- Outreach and community engagement skills
- The ability to work effectively, both individually and in a team
- The ideal person will also be creative and tech-savvy.
We're a small organization with a dedicated group of staff, organizers, and volunteers, leaving lots of room for your creativity. We understand that every volunteer's schedule is different and would be thrilled to have you commit a couple hours a week or more (if you are able). This opportunity can begin immediately or according to your upcoming availability. Please note: this volunteer opportunity is unpaid.
About Left Forum
Continuing a tradition that began in the 1960s, Left Forum convenes an international conference each year in New York City. The conference involves a broad spectrum of progressive intellectuals, organizers, and academics, who come together to share ideas to transform the world; to better understand commonalities, differences, and alternatives to current predicaments; and to engage a wide range of critical perspectives on the world. Left Forum 2016 drew more than 4,000 participants for 400 panels.
- Social Media / Blogging
- Video Production
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment