A few hours per month
5455 Wilshire Blvd., Ste. 1001
Please join us to help end the cycle of family homelessness in Los Angeles!
In just this last year, homelessness in Los Angeles increased by 23%. One-third of those 58,000 people are families and youth.
Understanding that a roof over one’s head is merely the starting point to a better life, Imagine LA partners volunteer mentors withvulnerable families to help them stay motivated, learn life skills and maintain their housing. All families we work with have been prequalified to participate in our program. We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit.
Imagine LA’s results-driven approach works. Our mentoring model is heralded throughout L.A. County as the most effective solution to breaking the cycle of family homelessness. Every single one of the families we’ve worked with since our inception in 2008 has maintained housing, achieved self-sufficiency and is thriving.
We’re growing rapidly and can only continue our important work with your help! You will help families in Hollywood, South LA/Compton and Koreatown/Rampart. We give mentors, who work in a 4- to 5-person team, extensive training and support through our proprietary program developed by staff social workers with input from top leaders in the field. Each mentor commits to in-person meetings with a family member - could be a child or an adult - 2x/month and phone calls 1x/week for 12-18 months. Specific roles include:
- Team Liaison (12-18 month commitment, minimum 1 hour weekly), coordinates and oversees the mentor team, using community resources and other services available.
- Financial Wellness Mentor (12-18 month commitment, 2-3 hours biweekly at first, then once a month), meets with the head of household every 2 weeks - monthly to help work on budgeting, credit repair, savings, and opening bank accounts.
- One-to-one Mentor (12-18 month commitment, 1-2 hours weekly, meet with mentee consistently biweekly in person), meets with mentee to provide nurturing and coaching. Each one helps his/her family member build a sense of community and support and also helps the head of household with career development, job coaching, and education support.
- Tutor (minimum 3 months or up to program duration, once a week), provides skills training in areas needing improvement and assists mentee in improving study skills/habits and building confidence.
- Health/Nutrition Mentor (minimum 3 months or up to program duration, as needed), assists family in accessing medical and dental care, and with grocery shopping, meal planning and meal preparation.
- Additional Mentors and Advocates (as needed), provide support for child care, moving, wellness, legal issues, etc.
Contact Ciera Thornton at 323.944.0210 x1005 or Ciera@imaginela.org for a Mentorship Application.
Facebook: Imagine LA
HOW TO APPLY
Onboarding steps are as follows:
1. Submit the mentor application click here http://www.imaginela.org/mentor-application/
2. Schedule a 20-minute phone interview.
3. Attend a 5-hr mentorship training, RSVP required.
4. Submit our volunteer agreement and complete a LiveScan background and DMV check.
(You must complete each step before moving on to the next one.)
Volunteer to be a part of a long-term solution for these families - it will change your life as much as it changes theirs.
- Child Development
- Problem Solving
- Financial Literacy
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 12-18 month commitment, 1-2 hours biweekly