Internship: Support College-Bound Students in the Mission
DONATE TO THIS
29 people are interested
The College Connect Intern (CCI) positions, require self-motivated individuals who are familiar with the Mission community, are bilingual in Spanish or Cantonese (preferable, but not required), and have a passion for working with youth. This is an unpaid volunteer position, and is a great opportunity for someone who wants to gain experience working with youth and their families in the Mission community.
Additionally, the CCI will gain knowledge of college access and success programming and building community with students and their families. CCI’s will work closely with the College Connect team to support the rising high school seniors, rising college freshmen, and current college students in our program.
The duration of the College Connect Intern and the weekly work schedule are negotiable, but we strongly prefer a commitment of 3 months or one school semester. Mission District residents, bilingual Spanish-English and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Key Responsibilities & Primary Duties:
Direct Service (50%)
- Assist high school seniors with college research to complete building their school list if they didn’t complete it over the summer.
- Assist students to complete their personal statement if they didn’t complete it over the summer.
- Assist Students to complete college applications, and FAFSA/ Dream Act applications if applicable.
- Assist Program Coordinators during program meetings, workshops and events.
- Support the College Connect team with youth one-on-one meetings/ support when needed.
- Help students as needed with fly-in program logistics and college enrollment paperwork.
- Send reminder emails/calls/text messages to students about upcoming deadlines, meetings, activities, scholarships, etc.
- Assist in communicating with and scheduling volunteers and interpreters when needed.
- Assist in drafting blog and newsletter stories for the program.
- Assist with program data tracking spreadsheets.
- Help prepare for monthly meetings (buy food, photocopy materials, set up meeting space, etc).
- Assist with other program related projects.
- Familiarity with college access challenges that are specific to first-generation college students.
- Proven ability to work with people from diverse ethnic, socioeconomic, educational, religious, sexual orientation backgrounds.
- Bilingual Spanish/English or Cantonese/ English strongly preferred.
- Fingerprint and TB test clearance mandatory prior to internship.
--Mission Graduates is a community based nonprofit that works to increase the number of K-12 students in San Francisco's Mission and Excelsior Districts who are prepared for and complete a college education.
College Connect, a program of Mission Graduates, is a family-based college access and success program for low-income youth who will be first-?generation to attend college. This multi-year program provides structured, personalized college admissions support to students and their parents through high school graduation, as well as on-going academic advising, mentoring, and career coaching throughout college.
- To date, approximately 200 hundred College Connect students and alumni have raised 4 million in scholarships
- 90% of students who have completed College Connect have attended 4-year universities
Come join the Mission Graduates team as a volunteer! If interested please respond to this posting or email Erika Jimenez, Volunteer & Communications Coordinator, at email@example.com
We'll work with your schedule.
522 Valencia StreetSan Francisco, CA 94110
- Data Entry
- Child Development
- Internet Research
- Human Resources Assistance
- Administrative Support
- Youth Services
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training