Development and Marketing Internship
Dr. Barbara Reuer, an internationally-recognized leader in music therapy, founded Resounding Joy in 2004 and has guided the organization’s growth from a group of volunteers with a closet of instruments to San Diego's primary nonprofit provider of music therapy. Resounding Joy provides music therapy to the community through four programs designed for underserved populations: Semper Sound, Mindful Music, Sound Minds, and Healing Notes.
- Semper Sound is devoted to working directly with service members and veterans with combat-related stress and trauma.
- Mindful Music trains volunteers to use recreational and supportive music with seniors of all abilities.
- Sound Minds facilitates weekly sessions at high school infant centers, providing teen parents an opportunity to reconnect with their children during the school day.
- Healing Notes provides free music therapy to improve medical outcomes and quality of life for children struggling with severe or life-limiting diagnoses.
During 2016, Resounding Joy’s team of board-certified music therapists will reach over 1,500 individuals (7,000 contacts). An additional 2,000 individuals will benefit from volunteer-led supportive or recreational music. In alignment with its mission, the vast majority of Resounding Joy's services will be provided free of charge.
This internship will provide the right candidate with the opportunity to grow and build a foundation in the marketing and development field by having direct impact on the function, productivity and organization of Resounding Joy. Candidates will assist in numerous and varied projects including assisting in the planning of special events, conducting research, managing critical administrative projects, and writing content for various external audiences.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with grant research & composition.
- Communicate with donors & volunteers.
- Assist with execution of major fundraising events.
- Coordinate press releases and printed ads.
- Draft email and Facebook content; may include interviewing and/or taking photos & video.
- Conduct various research projects on fundraising prospects and draft grant proposals.
- Perform market analysis on Music Wellness Center projects.
- Manage Google Ad Words account.
- Identify and communicate with potential partner businesses and organizations for Music Wellness Center events.
- Exercise good judgment and confidentiality in dealing with volunteers, donors, and staff.
- Attend and participate in event-related activities and meetings.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Interest in non-profit development, marketing and communications with energy, creativity and excellent attention to detail
- Must demonstrate record of high academic standards
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Must function well in group and team settings, as well as independently
- Must be flexible and handle multiple tasks simultaneously and perform effectively and expeditiously under tight deadlines
- Must be able to pass background check
- Must have reliable transportation
- Must possess interpersonal skills that excel in cultural sensitivity and respect for differences.
- Preferably knowledge of fundraising and communications software (Adobe Photoshop, InDesign; Constant Contact; Wordpress; etc.)
- Knowledge of and familiarity with social media content creation
- Preferably knowledge of and interest in film making
- Resource Development / Management
- Donor Management
- Grant Writing / Research
- Arts Administration
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- 10 hours/week