About the Position
ACES Volunteer Classroom Leaders will improve the academic progress of urban student by helping in the facilitation of hands-on activities focused on reading, writing, math, and art. Relationship building is a fundamental part of the program- because of this, ACES stresses regular and consistent attendance at program over an extended period (one semester minimum). Previous classroom or 1:1 experience suggested, but not required. The ACES Volunteer Classroom Leader position is an opportunity ideal for prospective future educators.
ACES volunteers are essential to our program sites. Volunteers will receive a variety of opportunities such as co-planning with staff, taking initiative to enhance student engagement and provide feedback on students and program:
- Attend pre and post program meetings and be proactive in planning with staff about flow of program day and reflect about the activities that occurred.
- Take initiative to form positive connections with youth.
- Provide academic support (tutoring) either one-on-one or in small groups.
- Providing feedback with regard to student and program progress on an on-going basis.
- Participation in a post-service feedback session with Outreach Coordinator (Exit Interview/Discussion).
Qualifications and Experience
- Must be at least 17 years of age or older.
- Commit to one semester or school year.
- Ability to commit to 2.5 to 5 hours per week.
- Interest in supporting urban students in academic and personal growth.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Availability, dependability, and willingness to be flexible.
- Math / Science Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- Youth Services
- General Education
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- 2 Hours/Week